How do I stop feather pecking and lice

do they have plenty of roaming space? do they have access to dirt or sand etc for feather dusting. I stopped using straw, cause I read it can harbor mites etc.
heck I let mine roam 1/2acre. but lately been leaving their two gates open and let them roam property. they dont go far cause of the heat and bright sun and lots of rain.. they lately been going under the toolshed wings and finding dry soft dirt to feather dust, mounds left by them good for nutting moles and gophers
frankly if I had to keep chicken in a run I would prefer not to have them. cause its nothing like seeing them running and flapping their wings when they think they have goodies like bugs and suflower seeds etc.I think caged chickens is cruelty, if thye cant at least "run" at least a short while befor roosting time. In my humble opinion.
I just got thru giving them some Jap Beatles, I picked off my pole bean leaves. I put them in those cricket long cylinders and carry on my belt
spoiled they are . uhm hum...

Yes they have a bit of land to have dirt baths in its just they are losing feathers round their necks and vents

do a search on this forum.. I know everyone recommends poultry dust......for the chickens. and pyrethium spray for the coop.. Poultry approved kind
heck I am even taking out some of their pine shavings in their coop. I see no real need in the summer... they spend only sleep time and laying time in their coop. makes so much dust.....
I read while ago feather picing might need more protein or THEY ARE JUST BORED
I have rubber matting on top of the plywood or pineboard flooring...
even that good nice brand is dusty....
I might just keep some in the middle of the coop during warm weather. I can see in the wintertime usuage more...

Back
Top Bottom