How do I stop hens from wasting so much feed?

feedstorechick

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
My Serama pairs are in wire bottom cages. I have both a cup and a rabbit feeder for feed. The highlight of their day is billing out the feed. I tried raising the feeders, then raising them again. It works for a while, then the get the hang of slinging the feed out anyway. Any ideas?

Wrap the mouth of your feeders with chicken wire. They can get their beaks in but they can't really do the sideways flipping thingy and toss feed out. I have a trough style feeder wrapped in fencing that allows them to get their heads into the feed but no maneuverable room to flick. Saves me sooooo much feed!

I switched to pellets months ago and found they don't waste NEAR as much! What they do drop on the ground, they eat.

Make a "Milk Jug" feeder

Cut a hole in the side of a 1 gallon milk jug just large enough for them to get their heads in.
Then they can eat but not sling feed out

Last edited:
I also use a rabbit feeder and had the same trouble with feed being shoveled onto the ground. What I did was cut out a strip of plastic the size of the feeder opening and put 3 holes in it. Then tied it around the back of the feeder. I now only need to fill the feeder once a week instead of every few days.

Back
Top Bottom