How do I stop my almost-pullets from jumping on my head?

Sue Z Q

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
California - Central Valley
Obviously (from my question) I am new to raising chickens. I just have 6, which is all I want: 3 are now at 6 1/2 weeks and the other three are 3 weeks old. (The two groups are separated from each other and they are all different breeds of hens (supposedly all hens) -- renowned for their gentle, loving, lap-chicken personalities.)
I clearly made a mistake with the older ones when they were still babies and would jump up my arms to my shoulders and occasionally onto my head. I always removed them immediately from my head and shoulders, but possibly not fast enough? ? They seem to think it is okay to jump up there. And now that they are almost pullets, it is downright painful and dangerous (imho). I get them off my head and shoulders immediately, but yikes! Too much!
The three that are still babies have not started this behaviour and I do not allow them on my arms even, just my hands so that I can pick them up.
Sitting on my lap is completely fine with me.
How do I get the 6 1/2 week old almost-pullets to stop jumping on my shoulders and head?
How do I prevent the baby chicks from ever doing this in the first place?

Now that is a solution I can live with! :)
Thank you so much!!
Since their brooders are inside, it had not occurred to me to wear a hat around them. 🤠
(That probably sounds ridiculous on my part, I realize. But, hey, I can do multi-dimensional quantum mechanics - an ability which does not help me with raising baby chicks! or a lot of other useful, practical things we need to know/do to survive & thrive.)

Now that is a solution I can live with! :)
Thank you so much!!
Since their brooders are inside, it had not occurred to me to wear a hat around them. 🤠
(That probably sounds ridiculous on my part, I realize. But, hey, I can do multi-dimensional quantum mechanics - an ability which does not help me with raising baby chicks! or a lot of other useful, practical things we need to know/do to survive & thrive.)
I didn't say it would work.:p:lol:

If these chicks love to jump , you could add a few branches in the run?

What are you’re plans to combine these two groups? There are tricks to join them.
I *was* only planning on having 4 chicks, not 6, so when the final count reached 6, I bought a second coop because my first coup would be too small for all 6.
Both coups are identical with small runs underneath and as well as out to the side and covered with a roof. (I am new to this, and just doing the best I can with my skills (lacking as they are) and budget (tight as it is).
I will assemble the second coup adjacent to the first coup at one corner. The older chicks will go into one coup now and then the younger ones into the second coup in a few more weeks, so they can see and hear each other without being able to interact physically.
Then, at some point in time yet to be determined, I figured I would cut an opening into the spot where the coups' runs meet so that the groups would be able to access both. I would like to have the ability to close off that opening if ever needed, so I have to figure that out.
Also I am in the process of arranging a much larger communal run area (10'x10') that surrounds both coups. I hope next year to be able to get a nicer, larger communal single coup for them to all live in together. I would have bought some sort of double coup to start, but I already had the first coup/run bought before I decided to get the extra 3 birds.
Oh, I did just pick up one really nice branch I found the other day for just that purpose, but I *think* I should probably strip off all its bark first. ??? (I have been providing the older chicks grit for 3 weeks, so they would be ready if they find/catch any bugs when they move outside.)
Please share your advice and tips. Any information is appreciated! Thank you!!

It is natural behaviour. We often had chicks hiding in the neck feathers of our breeding hen. But the idea of the hat is good.

Attachments

• DSCF8832.JPG
    DSCF8832.JPG
    528.5 KB · Views: 4
When they are flying up to your head, they are telling you they want more physical exercise, and I would bet you are the tallest thing they can fly to if you are keeping them indoors.

I would combine them sooner than later and I put my own chicks outside by three weeks of age.

Often times, people trying to keep them safe, keep them inside and in too small of area for far too long. Exercise, space, fresh air and sunshine are good for physical development.

Mrs K

And push them away! Birds only should invade your space (or jump on you) when invited. Try a couple of firm pecks on whatever body part you can reach, hard enough to be uncomfortable, until that bird moves herself.
As if you were being pecked, you 'peckpeckpeck' to move her off.
Be fast, and watch your back, because having a bird land on your head or shoulder isn't good. My pushiest pullet tried landing on my back a couple of times last year, and gave it up. The goal is not to injure anyone, but to make it unpleasant, every time.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom