How do I Stop My Chickens From Eating Thier Own Eggs?

CayleeMarie03

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2012
Hi I have 25 chickens. 14 that are laying and 11 that are chicks. So I just got 6 more chickens. 5 Leghorns and 1 I think is a rhode island red. I just started getting about 9-12 eggs a day. The Leghorns we think are eating some of the eggs. We will find 2-3 broken eggs at night. How do you stop them from eating them?

try to distract them. hang leafy greens from the ceiling so the jump to it or a bell that jingles when they move it(very funny).

i put mine in a wired cage, like i do when they get broody. a 48 hour time out has done it for me good luck.

Darken the nest boxes by hanging something partially across the opening. Put lots of bedding in the nest box so that the eggs are not cracked as they are laid. Are your hens receiving an adequate source of calcium so that their egg shells are sturdy?

Agree with sourland, though there's more you'll need to do. But the first issue is hardening eggshells. Top up calcium, make sure water is always clean (algae interferes with nutrient absorption including calcium), and worm if necessary. Vitamin D supplements sometimes help if the hens are away from sunlight.

I would suggest, for cures, either using roll nests (sloping toward a little 'cupboard' to hide the eggs: not a cure but it lets you get all the eggs), or alternatively taking away all nestboxes and make hens lay on bare floor (no obstacles, no litter or hay, just smooth ground or concrete). Believe it or not this works as long as the eggshells are fairly strong, because eggs roll away from the beaks. They'll try and try but in a couple weeks will have given up.

good luck, I've dispatched birds for this (there's always the chance they'll relapse, also they learn it from one another).
sad.png

Erica

Back
Top Bottom