How do I stop my duck being broody?

collingwood

Songster
5 Years
Hi everyone I've had a broody duck for a very! Very! Long! Time! And the eggs that it was sitting on went off and I took them away my duck is very pale and skinny because she won't eat! And I'm not too sure how long it will survive! And it isn't healthy enough to lay any more eggs so it's sitting on nothing! I also have two other ducks that are broody now which I am happy with because the eggs are fertile!

Could you take one of the other broody ducks eggs and give one to her? If she is that determined then the best way to break her would be for her to have a baby.

Are you sure there isn't something else going on if she's not eating and skinny? Is there another place you could put her in away from her nesting area with food and water to see if you can get her eating again?

Are you sure there isn't something else going on if she's not eating and skinny? Is there another place you could put her in away from her nesting area with food and water to see if you can get her eating again?

I know she's broody because I gave her two chicks (chicken chicks) and she stopped being broody! But unfortunately the chicks died! And now she is broody again!

I doubt she would die from being broody. It is common for them the lose weight while being broody. One of my muscovy hens brooded for 7 weeks before she hatched any eggs. I supplemented her with a higher protein feed to compensate for her not eating as much.

How far along are the eggs in the other duck's nests?

I doubt she would die from being broody. It is common for them the lose weight while being broody. One of my muscovy hens brooded for 7 weeks before she hatched any eggs. I supplemented her with a higher protein feed to compensate for her not eating as much.

How far along are the eggs in the other duck's nests?
My friends chickens died from being broody and they didn't even have eggs!

I'm not sure how long she's been broody!
I have read since being on BYC that geese and ducks will starve themselves to death when brooding so I always make sure any of my birds who are brooding get up and out daily. Sometimes they get carried away and don't take care of themselves. . I had a Muscovy this year who started brooding in April I didn't wan any ducklings this year so I took her eggs didn't matter she just kept sitting, I tried taking her out daily and closing up where she was sitting but every evening there'd she go right back to where she had her nest even though I'd go in daily and stir up the bedding This went on everyday from April till about 3 weeks ago. She brooded on nothing. Finally I kicked her out again and this time she quit on her own. started to molt and is looking much better, Brooding is hard on them because they don't take that good of care of themselves eating little so I'd get her off the nest clean out all the old bedding and put down new. I actually broke a broody last year by removing all the old bedding and adding new, she went in to her stall and looked around like Wow where did everything go, and she was done. this girls this year was a big challenge, I just made sure she got out to eat and bathe when I finally figured out she was not going to get off on her own. Please do what ever you need to to get this duck to either quit brooding or at least make sure she gets out daily to eat and bathe and try removing all the old nesting material and adding new this may do it. I'd hate for you to loose her. Some will use a pen with hardware cloth all over with out any bedding to break them for brooding, I don't have anything like that so don't know successful that is with ducks I think it works good with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom