how do I stop nestbox hay from ending up on the floor?

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
someone in my coop has decided that the hay in the nestboxes does not belong there and is pulling it all onto the floor of the coop. I have not caught anyone doing it but I refill in the am and by pm, the box is completely empty (except maybe a poo they left behind)
I have tried just shavings in the box, that got emptied as well. I believe it's the guinea hens that are roosting in the rafters. my hens have used the nestboxes for yrs without a problem. I now have a few bantams, and young guineas in there that are last fall chicks and everyone else has been there.
what do I do? Yes, tried the fake eggs, they dumped them on the floor and not to sit on them.

I don't know and if it is the guineas I really don't know because I have never owned any. Maybe having the opening only big enough for a hen to get in and out!?!?!? Maybe someone else could help.

Put a 3" lip on the front of the nest box, hens sometimes like to kick bedding around before they go to nesting. I have lips on mine and they do fine with little falling out.

AL

Whenever I put new hay in the nest boxes, I always throw an armful on the floor of the coop for them to play in. Takes the novelty out of the nest box hay. If it keeps happening, maybe you could cut a mat out of artifical turf/plastic grass stuff and line the nest box with that. It'll cushion the eggs, but shouldn't be able to be scratched out.

thanks everyone, I'll try some of the suggestions. can't believe after 5 yrs, they are just starting this.

I'm with al6517 put a lip on it. It may not help though if they are coop up. I noticed the same thing with all nest today so I just cleaned out and put more hay in them and will see if they remove it again.

I had the same problem. I put a lip on the front, it helps, but they will still kick what they do not want in there. I learned that some will be kicked out. So now I just put a little extra in there, and the lip keeps some in the box, and voila... eggs in the hay.

Back
Top Bottom