How do I stop them from killing each other!!!!!!!AGHHHHHH

If you have the time get a large water pistol and blast the ones doing the pecking. Behavior modification works every time. Add some interesting things for them to peck at. A whole cabbage an ear of corn throw raw oatmeal out scattered to keep them occupied.

You could up their protein levels in their feed, remove the main offenders for a while to shake up the pecking order (no pun intended; you should BlueKote the hurt ones and remove them until they heal), hang a cabbage over their heads just high enough so they have to jump a little to get a bite, or maybe resort to using some of these items: http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=2tnsgtkkbe8rd7u4fa0ok581r1. Good luck to you.
smile.png

You said it is a large pen and also described it as huge without saying exactly how big it is. In a seperate post, you said you would be triming over 50 beaks or so.

Using my advanced math skills, over 50 beaks is over 50 chickens
big_smile.png
. Is it possible that your idea of huge is a lot different than the chickens and they are fighting for room?

My concern is that they will continue to do this as adults. You need to break this behavior. My guess is not enough protein and they need some activities. I have added stick perches, stuffed animals, hung cabbage, pans of dirt, handfuls of grass and scratch grains to my young chicks cages to give them something to do. I also put them outside in my chicken tractor to eat bugs and grass on nice days, feathered out or not.

Hang in there.

Go to your feed store and get a jar of pine tar. It's black, nasty, and stinks. Smear it liberally on the pecked areas of every bird. It won't hurt them and acts as a topical antiseptic. It also tastes nasty and discourages further pecking. If you have some real hard cases you may have to apply it every few days for a week or so. Often enough though one application is enough. Any feed store or farm supply that carries much in the way of equine supplies should have it.

I had a layer a few months ago got her head picked open to the point I wasn't sure she would survive. A good spray of Blue Kote then a dose of pine tar on top renewed every two to three days for a week put a stop to any further picking.

Back
Top Bottom