How do I stop them from killing each other!!!!!!!AGHHHHHH

Country Living Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Nice large pen with 11-12 week olds. They have plenty of room and plenty of water. They are pecking the tail until it starts to bleed and then they are eating the poor chick alive. As soon at the outer skin breaks the inside is history. Just lost 4 and injured 6 withing three hours. The pen is huge so I have no idea what else to do!!!!

I am having to invest in blood stop...

Advice please.

O feed they are getting is about 16% and they get scratch to keep them busy but still going after each other!!!

THAT IS SOOOO AWFUL !!!
sickbyc.gif

You could try trimming the beaks. Here are a couple of sites and you could also "search" BYC for beak trimming help.
smile.png

Just a thought, I've never trimmed a beak.
idunno.gif

http://www.ehow.com/how_4513302_trim-chickens-beak.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debeaking

As soon as I see it, I spray wound-kote (blu-kote) all over the injured bird, wait for it to dry, and then return it, usually fine. I would also increase their protein intake. 16% (plus scratch) sounds a little low to me, but I am no expert in that field.

O....K, How about spreading the feed on the ground so that there are so many specks on the ground they don't even look at each other they are so busy pecking at specks ?
smile.png

If the litter makes that not feasible, maybe you could put little piles of feed all around, (hopefully it has specks in it), to distract them at every turn.
smile.png

Or how about that green gel chick supplement in piles here and there ?
fl.gif

For cryin out loud, I have no idea, I'm just rambling here !
smack.gif

Just can't stand the thought of the chicks getting eaten alive !
hit.gif

Tell me about it. There is nothing like picking up a chick with no insides left and it is still trying to breath....... I am going to get some kitty food now, just boiled up eggs and gave them that, and I do put the feed on the ground to keep them busy. I am going crazy. I am scared to go look outside in the pen right now.

:{

Quote:
Normally by the time I see it, I put blood stop on it, but the wound is so bad I have to take them out for fear of them attacking again. I have neve tried the spary though.

Several different breeds. This is a first for me. I think it might be from to low of protien. I just gave them lots of eggs (boiled) for the protien and they are all sitting around stuffed right now. Game bird feed, ktty food in the near future to see if it help.

Ok my 1 year old hens made each other have bloody butts and I got blu-kote.. it is about $9 a bottle but it gos a really long ways! I was treating 24 Chickens every day for A week on one bottle.

But it works because chickens are scavengers and the naturally eat anything that looks like blood or raw meat so this blu-kote is blue and covers up the redness of it while also it is an anti septic spray so they won't get infected, also, it doesn't taste good so they take one bit and don't go back for more!

Hope all this helps and good luck!

Oh one more thing: I also ordered some Hot pick. it is an bird spray that is very hot to the taste and they don't like it so once you have sprayed them with blu-kote you should try to order so hot pick.

P.S. I had to order mine from online so just google search "hotpick for birds" and it will pop up a whole bunch of places where you can order and make sure that you shop around as some places are cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom