How do I stop this?

Chookchicken

Fluffiest In The Flock
Dec 4, 2020
How do I stop chickens from pecking each other’s combs and causing scabs and bleeding? One of my chickens that just got of being broody, and has black spots on her comb (scabs), I know it isn’t pox’s because she sometimes scratch’s some off. She isn’t sick and doesn’t try to run from the others and I have never seen them pull her comb (she does get picked on I have most certainly seen that). Any ideas on how to stop this? I’ll try and get photos if there needed.

How do I stop chickens from pecking each other’s combs and causing scabs and bleeding? One of my chickens that just got of being broody, and has black spots on her comb (scabs), I know it isn’t pox’s because she sometimes scratch’s some off. She isn’t sick and doesn’t try to run from the others and I have never seen them pull her comb (she does get picked on I have most certainly seen that). Any ideas on how to stop this? I’ll try and get photos if there needed.
Hmm, try putting Blu-kote on her comb, it is a blue/purple-colored spray that helps heal the wound and infection and covers up the blood and scabs so they won't see them and pick at them so easy. Best of luck!

If you have a local feed store you can try asking them if they carry Blue-Kote, or you can order it off of amazon or TSC. If you have a TSC in your area.

Only thing that comes to mind is an application of Blu-Kote. and I just see that someone else suggested same. It is an antiseptic, but the benefit for your hen would be the blue color. Chickens do not peck on blue color compared to RED.
The Antiseptic portion would not have any negative effects on your chickens well being.
image_2021-01-23_020319.png

Blukote won't solve this problem.
The broody is acting 'different' is why she's getting pecked.

Need more info.

Did she hatch chicks or did you break her broodiness?
When and how is she being "picked on"?

How many birds total?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

How many birds total?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

Yes, this.

Photos and dimensions of your setup will help us figure out what's going on. Also, if you give us your general location (you can add it to your profile), we can give advice targeted to local conditions. :)

I’ll get photos tomorrow, as for the other stuff I live in Melbourne (it is currently hot) I have 9 bantams and one chick, I don’t have any Roos, and she didn’t hatch chicks. We had a splayed leg chick that she tried to run out of the flock and her mother got really defensive of her (that chick passed away this morning so she is no longer there), even then though I haven’t seen anything out of the ordinary peck or two. I let her be broody for the past two months along with her best friend (they are the only pekins) they both broke broodyness about a week and half ago. We have 7 silkies, 2 pekins, and 1 polish chick. I’ll post photos of her comb in the morning as I am starting to second guess myself. Thank you all for your help :)

I couldn’t get her to sit still long enough to get a photo of her comb but it is looking a lot better to day. Here is the coop
27DD72A7-6E2A-4392-922E-8D74B03F6CB4.jpeg

It is approximately 12x5 feet (or 3.6x1.8m) and that doesn’t include the smaller run in front of there coop. There also not normally that close to the fence they just thought I had snacks.

Back
Top Bottom