How do I stop!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedTailRanch, Jan 15, 2009.

1. RedTailRanch

RedTailRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My Coop
    I just hatched out my first ever chicks yesterday! I just got my r-com mini on Christmas and put eggs in the bator that same day. It only holds three...thank goodness, and yes, I WANTED it that small to KEEP me for hatching out 20 or 30 at a time!

Only two eggs were fertile, and they were both brown (the white egg was the non-fertile one), so they are either from my SLW's or GLW's. Both chicks are so cute and gentle, and SO different than the temperment of the mail order chicks I got last year...less trauma I guess.

Anyway...even though the newbies are less than 24 hours old, I have already cleaned out the bater and am ready to put more eggs in! I want to hatch out two of my Ameracauna eggs and one white egg (I have several white egg-laying breeds, so it's a gamble who the Mom would be).

Am I crazy!? How do I stop?! Is there a hatch-a-holics anonymous group I can join!?

P.S. I still need to figure out how to put pics on here!

2. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    LOL You and I both posted on a hatching thread earlier, and the short answer is: No, there's no cure, embrace your new hatch-crazy lifestyle [​IMG]

On the plus side, as obsessive hobbies go- this one is reasonably priced, legal, and way too much fun to stop once you've started [​IMG]

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Nope, only way to stop is to get rid of the bator. I keep telling myself I will not hatch anymore eggs. I keep saying I will never look at post on the Chicken eggs sale section anymore. I then find myself constantly checking it, and ordering. It really is a sickness. Could be worse, at least it takes 3 weeks for them to hatch, Could you imgine if it only took 2-3 days.

4. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I wish it took three days [​IMG]

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Is there a hatch-a-holics anonymous group I can join!?

Yes, there is......it's called...... BYC!!

Welcome!!

My name is Becky and I, too, am addicted to hatching.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Build more coops....then you have a reason to keep hatching eggs. Can't have empty space just sitting there! [​IMG]

bigzio

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:If you find out, will you let me know?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That wouldn't work, I'd still have my chickens. They love having baby chicks almost as much as I do!! [​IMG]

9. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    Welcome to our world;) I too need to stop hatching but can't. I promised myself after my last hatch there would be no more at least until spring. My homemade refrigerator incubator had not even cooled down before I had three more turners full of eggs in there. Hellllllllllppppppppppppppp!!!

10. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Who wants to stop? I want to hatch more. I got a good gig going here. I hatch, raise them up to about 15 weeks, sell some and hatch some more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by