How do i tame a quail?

$1.57.
Here's a link that was discussed not long ago, but I'll revisit it because it needs to be done. Here is another link. Some members say that they don't have any Coryza problems and they keep chickens and quail together, but just to add, they may be the exception and not the rule. I'll say it till I'm blue my bald head, "Why risk it?" If it was a disease that could tranfer to Humans, would you still do it????
About the "training" your coturnix quail. I am assuming you mean to "tame them" so not to act so timid. My daughter has a 3 month old Texas A&M male that she has trained to hold it's head back when you rub the top of it. She's the only one that can do it. I think it's because she "imprinted" on the chick when it hatched. So, it's possible to get one calmed down. Ten quail? Hmmm? Lets see if others can answer.
Welcome to the quail forum in BYC.

My older cotunix know me as the food machine and wait patiently. They won't leave the cages even through open doors, but thats about as tame as I have gotten them, granted I have a couple hundred. I unload extra quail on my sister sometimes and my nephews handle them constantly but they don't seem to tame too much. Esp not the roosters. They have a rooster that they handle every day and he still bites and bangs the top of the cage when you try to grab him.

Game birds should be kept away from chickens as James said. There are plenty of horror stories with photo evidence for those who choose not to believe the science involved. Keep you chickens away from the quail cages and vice versa, because most of the diseases are related for feces transfer. I don't even let people who have handled chickens see my birds unless they have showered since touching anything chicken.

... Keep you chickens away from the quail cages and vice versa, because most of the diseases are related for feces transfer. I don't even let people who have handled chickens see my birds unless they have showered since touching anything chicken.
Coryza a respiratory infection. The Avian flu tops the list of the transmittable diseases that I'm concerned about. After having a cat kill one of my hens, I took a look at my plans to raise my quail on my covered patio and put them into my garage until I get it fully screened. One of the first things I noticed was that some wrens had a nest above a light, putting a risk of transmission of other diseases. Encephalitis is another I'd like to keep out of my covey.

Wild birds WILL reek havoc on ALL your poultry. HORRID diseases. I have seen it in both my chickens and quail from wild birds getting into feed and water. So AT ALL COSTS....keep all wild birds far away from your poultry.

And yeah....that goes for keeping chickens away from quail. :)

(Here you go James. ) LOL

Last edited:
Im thinking of raising them in my room by my window. Any ideas on the size i should use for the cage?
Its either Courtnix or im getting 4 Pheasants

$2.07 Who needs the PowerBall? And in case anyone is wondering about my math, I've decided to up the ante.... When 2CrowRanch replies, I'm no longer adding a dime... I'm adding a quarter.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom