How do I tame a very aggressive rooster!!!!!!????

There are a ton of threads on this site regarding rooster rehab. Do a search and you will find them. However be aware that those methods are not always successful. Personally I will NOT tolerate a mean rooster. There are far too many good ones out there needing homes to waste time with a nasty one. Besides, that temperment can also be passed onto offspring and why create more mean roos?

My roo is about 7 months old and has recently started to get pretty rough. I'm tolerating it for a few months because I've heard that he's basically in his 'teenage' years and will settle down soon. That being said, every time I go in the run he puffs up at me and has jumped at me and tried to flog me with his little spur bumps. Teen-angst or not this gets him chased until I corner him and then he's up in my arms with his head held down till either he starts to relax or I get tired of sitting out there with him. I'm pretty sure that he's not seeing "me" as a threat but is reacting to my shoes, coat, feed bucket because that's what he seems to be looking at when he 'goes off' - and all these things are different from what he's seen all summer. I figure he's got until the spring - or he starts to really get spurs - to settle down or he's gone.

My roo is about 7 months old and has recently started to get pretty rough. I'm tolerating it for a few months because I've heard that he's basically in his 'teenage' years and will settle down soon. That being said, every time I go in the run he puffs up at me and has jumped at me and tried to flog me with his little spur bumps. Teen-angst or not this gets him chased until I corner him and then he's up in my arms with his head held down till either he starts to relax or I get tired of sitting out there with him. I'm pretty sure that he's not seeing "me" as a threat but is reacting to my shoes, coat, feed bucket because that's what he seems to be looking at when he 'goes off' - and all these things are different from what he's seen all summer. I figure he's got until the spring - or he starts to really get spurs - to settle down or he's gone.

If your shoes, bucket, coat ect. are brightly colored... especially if they are any neon type shade, it very well could be what he is reacting to. My dominant roo reacted to something my niece was wearing twice. The first time he chased her she ran into the coop and shut the door. The second time, she got to me, I pulled her behind me with one arm and gently popped him in the chest feathers with the back of my hand, and he hasn't done it since... even if she wears shiny glittery neon stuff. I got him pretty much right after he hatched though. (And without thinking I was using chicken language for "Don't jack with my little chick!!!" Granted, Beakman has never tried to spur anyone, but one of my smaller roos did twice. If your roo is smaller than some of your hens, he may be trying to prove that he can take care of them despite his stature.... I'm only supposing this. Who knows what goes on in these chicken brains?

PS My smaller roo that spurred twice is no longer with my flock. I hated to loose him because he was one of my favorites, but I have younger nieces that would not have been as tough as my older nephew and niece. Sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. :/

Last edited:
When I have an aggressive rooster, I give them a firm nudge with my boot or a stick and they will land against the fence or bottom up. That usually does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom