How do I tame a wild turtle in get it to eat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheTwoRoos, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    My dog had went out and found this one turtle who is for the most part shy.If you put worms in his face or snails,he'll be GLAD to eat those.I just wanna spice things up and give him fruits&veggies.Gave him some apples and only a few chopped up slices were left on his rock (Not sure if they fell down between his rock or what).

Now,keep in mind we came across this turtle more then once,and it literally made it's HOME in our yard,so I wouldn't have took if it was farther off,but since that was his territory I figured life would have just been much harder if I accidentally put him somewhere else in another turtle territory,so I just took him in as my own.

He isn't my first turtle.Wish they were just alike. Humpry,my first turtle would anything you put in his face.He wasn't scared or anything (He was also found in the wild.)

Any idea on turtles?

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I used to feed mine moistened dog food.

3. Catharina

Catharina Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    Northern CA
    You need to know what kind of turtle it is to know what it eats, & also you need to find out if it's legal to keep it in captivity-or do you mean it likes to come & go but hangs out in your backyard. There is a lot involved in keeping reptiles-more than you think. Indoors they usually need UV lights &/or vitamin D, and calcium supplement to avoid serious problems. They get parasites & water turtles get shell rot. So...first step: ID the turtle-look up species native to your area. It could also be an escaped pet, in which case a pet store can ID it & give you the right food & supplements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by