How do I teach the ducks to get into the pool?

RunnerDucks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 28, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I bought a kid's pool. It's much larger than their other kiddie pool, and also taller, so they will have to use a ramp to get in and a cinderblock to get out.
I showed my pet duck how to do it, in front of the other ducks, hoping it might show them by visual aid.
So far they are not using it.
I would take each one and walk them up the ramp and put them in the pool, but these ducks are not very tame, and they are scared of me. I'm afraid if I do that, I will frighten them of the pool rather then teach them how to use it.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Food perhaps. Frozen peas, lettuce, or feeder fish if you are so inclined. Something they can't resist. Bribery to get ducks to swim, what will we stoop to.
lol.png

I'd first take out any other water sources, except for the pool
wink.png
that'll drive them to it. Next thing you know they'll be going "Well...it is kinda hot out here, maybe a quick, cooling dip?"

Other than that, some peas and some time. Some ducks make a beeline the instant you put out something new, others reguard it with suspicion for hours
roll.png

Ducks are skeptical and afraid of anything new. On the other hand they are nosy and curious too. I would take out the old pool and put the new one in the same location. Put blocks around it so they can climb up. Next leave them alone so they get private time with the new thingy. I bet they are in it by the end of the day.
Katharina

We put our three into the pool while it is empty, then fill it with the hose. They end up having so much fun with the hose and dabbling they forget to be scared. Then when it comes to getting into it again, they feel like they know exactly what is in it because they were there when it was filled. We've just dug a pond and it is the first time in a long time we disobeyed our own rule. The ducks haven't been in the pond once! At least not voluntarily! The peas always help too, we often throw in some peas while they are dabbling!

try to grab one or two of them, set them in the pond and quickly retreat at a distance before they scramble out.
maybe if they are not worried about you being too close, they will enjoy the swim and realize this is something they want to do again and will find their own way next time.

To get my ducks used to the new pool I tossed peas into it then I herded them up the ramp and I walked away and sat on the ground watching. It didn't take long before their love of peas won over and in they went LOL

Like someone else said, remove other sources of water and they'll get interested in the pool even quicker.

Michelle

My runners are 4 1/2 weeks old. I have a pool set up for them. Since they are getting bigger they can get out of the pool but they can't get in. Knowing ducks won't gut up ramps (for the most part) I made stairs..... sort of. It's a pyramid really this way they can go up either side. A long 2 x 10, then a shorter 2 x 10 on top and I put a soda crate upside down with a towel on top. It worked. They finally figured it out. I did walk around the pool behind them. If they passed the set up I went to the other side of the pool to have them turn around. Eventually they did walk up and hop in the pool. These were scrap pieces of wood.

I'm sure you can use anything just make sure they can't slip or get caught on anything. This is my temporary set up until I get their pen finished.

I made steps out of boards and just let them figure it out for themselves. Didn't take them too long.

Back
Top Bottom