How do I tell my chickens apart?

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
Hi!

This post is basically an introduction of my birds.

Sometimes people look at me like I am crazy when I quickly name off all fifteen of my hens. This post is so you can tell them apart too! The girls all have leg bands, but if they are laying down, you can use this to tell them apart. Also, the leg band colors have a theme behind them, we didn’t randomly put them on/name them.

Part 1: White Leghorns.

The White Leghorns are actually really easy to tell apart if you can see their combs. They were named after places we’ve lived.

View attachment 2241333
Tucson’s comb flops over and has no scars/blemishes. She has a purple leg band.
View attachment 2241334
Fayed’s floppy comb has a small white scar on it. She has a yellow leg band.
View attachment 2241335
Holly has a straight comb with no blemishes. She has a green leg band.

Part 2: Rhode Island Reds.

The Rhode Island Reds are probably the hardest to tell apart. I almost always use their leg bands. They each have a unique cluck, though. The Rhode Island Reds were named after red gemstones. If I get another, I will name her Carnelian, most likely.

View attachment 2241336
Ruby is VERY loud. Her band is purple, because P and R have a similar letter shape.
View attachment 2241337
Topaz is very quiet. You almost never hear her make noise (except the egg song). She has a yellow band, because T and Y have similar shapes.
View attachment 2241338
Garnet is not super loud. Her cluck sounds deep and inquisitive. Her band is green, because Garnet and green start with the same letter.

Part 3: ISA Browns. The ISA Browns are fairly easy to tell apart if you can see their heads, despite the fact that two are nearly identical. The ISA Browns were named after desert plants. If I rename Dorothy, she will probably be Yucca.

View attachment 2241339
Cholla is the easiest to tell apart. She has a yellow leg band. She is the darkest of the three ISA Browns. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, so her comb and the back of her head are scarred. She makes a cluck that sounds a bit like crying.
View attachment 2241340
Vera’s head and comb are mostly without blemish. She has a green leg band, since aloe vera is green
.View attachment 2241341
Lantana has some blemishes on the comb and head. Her leg band is purple, since lantana can have purple flowers.

Part 4: Barred Rocks.

The Barred Rocks are fairly easy to tell apart, even just by looking at their size. They were named after black rocks. This is the only breed that doesn’t have a story behind their leg bands.

View attachment 2241344
Onyx is the biggest chicken. Her eyes are slightly white-rimmed and her comb is large and red. Her leg band is yellow.
View attachment 2241345
Obsidian has a small comb with some blemishes. She is the smallest of the Barred Rocks. She has a green leg band.
View attachment 2241347
Ebony is the medium-sized Barred Rock. She has a shorter top beak since she broke part of it off on the fence. Her comb is not without blemish, and her leg band is purple.

Part 5: Liberty, Dorothy, and Jenny

Liberty is an Americana. Dorothy is an ISA Brown. Jenny is a Buff bantam Cochin. They all look different from the others.

View attachment 2241348
Liberty has a rose comb and a purple leg band.
View attachment 2241349
Dorothy has no leg band.
View attachment 2241350
Jenny has no leg band.

This probably isn't interesting to anyone but me, but it is still kind of cool, right?

People always think I'm crazy when I point out each hen and name her without hesitation. They always ask me how I can tell them apart, and I always say, "They look totally different!" Then, of course, they look really closely at each chicken and say something like,"Oh, I see! This one has a bigger comb!" Then I always tell them that, yes, she does, but that's not how I tell the difference. Each chicken has a different face. No two chickens look alike! Then they think I'm even weirder. :lau

People always think I'm crazy when I point out each hen and name her without hesitation. They always ask me how I can tell them apart, and I always say, "They look totally different!" Then, of course, they look really closely at each chicken and say something like,"Oh, I see! This one has a bigger comb!" Then I always tell them that, yes, she does, but that's not how I tell the difference. Each chicken has a different face. No two chickens look alike! Then they think I'm even weirder. :lau
Same! People are like, what? How do you know which chicken that is? I'm like, she bawks differently.

Back
Top Bottom