How do I train my chickens to be ok with being caught/picked up during the day?

CurvyCoop

Songster
Feb 11, 2022
Groningen, the Netherlands
I have 6 lovely hens and one accidental roo (but I love him all the same). I've had them for about 2 months now. I know that you can wait until dusk to grab a chicken to check it for anything, but I want to know how to train them to be okay with it during the day. Both for health and safety reasons, but also because I want to be able to grab my chooks without it being so stressful for them.

They are already quite relaxed around me in general. They will come up to see if I have food and they greet me when they see me. They also come RUNNING when I use my special treat call. They have NO problem eating treats from my hand and a few of them I can even lure up to my lap with treats this way. But all of them freak out at being grabbed.
Once they are held it's fine and I try to give them all regular lap time. They wriggle a bit the first 30 seconds or so but then they settle and are quite content to be pet. I think it's mostly me reaching for them and the initial contact that freaks them out.

How can I train them to be ok with me reaching for them?

Due to being prey animals Chickens do not naturally want to be picked up. Each children has its own personality, so not all will respond the same to being handled. What you have been doing to get them on your lap is helping them know you are safe. Keep going slowly and over time some might become comfortable with being picked up.

Most of my chickens do not want to be picked up, but there are 2 that tolerate it. Yet even those 2 try to evade me if I reach for them. I have to bribe them. It is much easier to entice a chicken to jump onto your lap. In time, you may have a whole lap full of chickens.

I have never tried this, but thought it might be a good idea? A poster on here, made a circle of chicken wire, about 30 inches high, and about 20 inches across. She claimed she could just drop it over the the bird, and then reach down and pick them up.

I never catch mine, they don't like it. Some people on here have more pets. I have trained mine to approach me, and jump up on my lap at their choice, but found I really didn't like it. I just like to watch mine.

Probably can't get an entire flock to accept it, but I have some birds that are simply more accepting of being touched or picked up. I do encourage the girls to squat for me, partially because that makes some of them easier to grab. Out of 10 birds I have 1 that I can simply scoop up one handed with no resistance, and 4 others that will hold still if I go to pick them up (but I need both hands). Really isn't any trick to training them to accept it, I regularly try to touch them and either they tolerate it or they don't.

I agree with what others have said about some chickens being more agreeable to being picked up. But I have also noticed that the chicks go through phases much like some of our lambs and calves will. They are very open to all the cuddles and then start shying away. Eventually, as they mature, they will come back around.

I agree with what others have said about some chickens being more agreeable to being picked up. But I have also noticed that the chicks go through phases much like some of our lambs and calves will. They are very open to all the cuddles and then start shying away. Eventually, as they mature, they will come back around.
This..
I too was worried bc my chickens didn't seem to want me to touch them!! Most are all reaching POL and the other night actually came up to me for cuddles before bed...

They literally would stand in front of me, I bent down..picked them up..scratched their little neckies...and off they went...(even a flighty EE I have...(though she was last) came up to me and allowed me to pick her up and love on her)

When I set them down ..they went in the coop for the night...

Due to being prey animals Chickens do not naturally want to be picked up. Each children has its own personality, so not all will respond the same to being handled.
Yeah, they've all got their own little personalities. So far every chicken is cool with being held and pet once they've been picked up. It's just the act of reaching out and picking them up that seems to make them nervous.
What you have been doing to get them on your lap is helping them know you are safe. Keep going slowly and over time some might become comfortable with being picked up.
Thank you, I will continue with my bribing :p

Back
Top Bottom