How do I wash/clean/disinfect the eggs before I put them in the fridge

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
(Hope I am putting this post in the correct forum.) Should I just wash the eggs with soap and water? or do I need to put something stronger in the wash water to kill any germs that may linger there on the shells? Do I have to worry about salmonella? How long can the eggs remain in the nest before I must refrigerate them?

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

Are you getting dirty eggs? If not you would be washing off the "bloom" defined as: The coating or covering on the egg shell that seals its pores. Bloom, also called cuticle, helps to prevent bacteria from getting inside the shell and reduces moisture loss from the egg.

If you are getting dirty eggs then you need to change or add more nesting material.

You can keep an egg at room temperature & it will still be good, even longer in a "chilly" room. Europeans don't refrigerate their eggs. French chefs insist on this.

Eggs kept in the fridge can last a month or two. If you are unsure if an egg is good put it in a glass of water (water being warmer then the egg or you will force bacteria into the egg if dirty) if it floats toss it, if it sinks to the bottom it is very fresh if it floats in the middle it still good just not as fresh as the sinker. The older the egg gets the more it dries out so the air pocket gets bigger (why it floats).
HTH
Nadine

No, I'm not getting dirty eggs. Haven't yet built the coop, nor acquired any chickens yet. Just trying to learn as much as I can beforehand. In a few more weeks, it will be warm enough here in Nassau County, NY to work outside and we'll build the coop then. But I was thinking that the eggs must be somewhat in need of being cleaned before being handled while cooking because the eggs and the poo comes from the same orifice. Also, I'm wondering if the chickens will poo while they are in the nest boxes.

You will force bacteria into the shell if you wash the eggs. The "bloom" seals the pores and protects the egg. Yes, they will occasionally poop in the nest. I clean the nests about once a week. I live in rainy Oregon, so my eggs are usually a little muddy in the winter from the mud on their feet. If I get a really dirty egg I will cook it up and feed it back to the chickens for a treat or give a little to the dogs with their breakfast.
I do not know the prevalence of Salmonella in backyard flocks, but I have been eating unwashed eggs both cooked and raw in cookie dough and eggnog for my whole life without a trouble. I would NOT eat a raw store-bought egg. I do choose eggs with no visible outside dirt for eating uncooked.

Washing eggs isn't so simple. Like others have pointed out you can actually push bacteria into the shell. If you do wash eggs it needs to be in hot water so the contents of the egg don't shrink and pull the bacteria in. Most don't wash clean eggs. There's no reason to. They already have their own built in protection against bacteria. Most of the time I don't wash dirty eggs either. If they are real dirty I feed them immediately to the pets before they have time to go bad. If they are slightly dirty I wipe it off with a dry cloth and put the still stained eggs into the carton in the fridge to eat later.

I never wash my eggs either. If there is a dirty one I get rid of it. If I keep getting dirty one, I will rethink my nest arrangement. Don't want to wash off the bloom.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, the only way they will poop in the nests is if they start sleeping in them. Just make sure the nests are low and the roosts higher and you shouldn't have any problem. My chickies keep their nests so clean I would sleep in them!!!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom