How do I wash/clean/disinfect the eggs before I put them in the fridge

I wash the dirty eggs in hot water, then dip them in Egg Wash for sterilizing, dry them with paper towels and rub a little food grade mineral oil on them. An egg caked in poo may just get thrown out.

You've all given me amazing information on this topic. I am so surprised by all this. No routine refrigeration needed, no routine washing. Amazing to me. Ok then, will follow suit. Thanks muchly.
-Carolyn

welcome-byc.gif
I agree with the other posts. I have a counter that I keep my eggs on. I never wash them. You can use an egg wash or dip them in 1 tbsp bleach to a gal of warm water then rinse if you want to sanitize them, but you must refrigerate them.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
caf.gif

Hey Carolyn! I rinse our eggs off right before using them. Have only had one slightly dirty egg so far. Its true, they keep the nest boxes clean.

I don't wash my eggs either. If one is a bit dirty or poopy, I use a damp paper towel to clean it off. Of course, removing the eggs daily and keeping nesting boxes super clean is a must.

hmm i do not think i would want to eat a egg that was not cleaned ... i worked on a chicken farm when i was a kid they had a machine that would wash the eggs with hot water and some kind of cleaner .. washing eggs must not be that bad for the egg pores

Back
Top Bottom