How do judges award points, re APA SOP?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kathyinmo, Jan 10, 2010.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Is there a certain number of points awarded for beak color, leg color, form, etc? Or, is each breed given different numbers of points in each area? Is one area more important than another?

I've never been to a show, but do hope to in the future.

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Judges do have a points score card by which they judge. Some things differ between colored and white birds. It's all in the Standard of Perfection, which is a good tool to buy if you are going to breed birds and show.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    To expand on Laura's answer a little there is a general scale of points with minor differences for how colored birds are judged vs white birds. In addition certain specific breeds also call for variation from the General Scale.
    These include Crested Breeds, Modern games. Malays,Aseels, Shamos, Japanese Bantams, Hamburg & Rosecomb Bantams, Buttercups, La Fleche, Yokohamas & Phoenix.
    Owning a Standaed of Perfection is absolutely necessary if you plan to show & hope to win.
    I also always recommend going to some shows before you buy anything. Look at the breeds you're interested in & see what the winning birds look like. Talk to the exhibitors showing you selected breed or breeds. Most of us will talk all day about our birds. After you've done these things & studied the Standard then you're ready to buy birds.
    Lastly, you'll be better off if you decide on one or two breeds to focus on. Many people try to breed several breeds all at once. This is hard to do successfully, especially for a beginner.

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I was hoping you'd drop in on this one.

[​IMG]

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I'll chime in too.

Though there is a points system, the most often method used in American Shows for placing the birds is the Comparison System. One bird is compared to another: the bird coming closest to the Standard of Perfection, in the judges opinion and memory, wins.
    saladin

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

YAY! I do have the SOP book, and now I can refer to it, for the point value of each area. Thanks for the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by