How do Muskovies do in cold weather?

Bobberduck

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
The wife is thinking of getting a half dozen eggs as we have found a fairly good deal on them. I am only really concerned about their little faces and the freezing weather. We have a really good, well insulated chicken coop, but I am wondering if they are going to have issues in being inside for 6 months, with only snow to go out on to play come winter... Any thoughts on what to do in this case? Mud floor in a duck house that is separate? don't keep them over the winter and just hatch a couple more come next spring??? What do you all suggest?

D.

I live in florida so i dont have this problem, but many fellow BYC'ers have them in colder climates. I see pictures and everything! SO i'm pretty sure theyd be OK!
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Hehehe... yeah, we are in our blessed summer (all four months of it). My wonder is how they would do all cooped up for the 6 to 8 months of winter we have here in Alaska... would they be too miserable being inside for that long? Still, the wife informs me that the eggs are a go... as in I think I gave the okay while I was half asleep... lol.

Muscovies are not prolific layers, and they are a one time go kinda duck. Lay until their clutch is full incubate and raise. Thats about it! So if you actaully did want eggs you should go with Khaki cambells or Welsh Harlequins they are good layers. For the winter many people let there birds out even when its very cold. If its too cold for you to go out then its cold for them, remember they dont have anything protecting their feet. Katharina i think has pictures and a setup for her ducks in the winter months with scattered shelters and hay all over the place! Good Luck!

Quote:
I'll have to go find some pics and see how it is done. And we aren't going for the eggs... we are looking to hatch them out and keep a couple hens to poke eggs under. Rumor has it they are broody as all heck. We have Harlequins for eggs, and Cayugas for eggs/meat.

The Drakes tend to have more issues with frostbite than the hens. do your current ducks show trouble with the cold weather? If they don't, it may not be a problem. I would definitely buy eggs locally though, then you would have a chance to talk to the flock owner and see if they've had any issues with that kind of thing and you would feel better knowing you're buying eggs from cold hardy muscovies instead of some that were shipped from say Florida or somewhere, lol.

Smaller "masks"(caruncles) = less worry... the bigger, bulkier the caruncling and the more succeptable it is to frostbite.
Hope I helped.

I have a pair and they do good here in mn. I have them in a insulated shed and make sure thier water doesn't freeze. I also have a small dog door so they can go in and out to the run as they please. On real cold and windy days they will stay inside. I have not had one freeze or get frost bite yet.

Back
Top Bottom