How do people afford this?

Pics

moomoodiddy

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 7, 2012
Union County, NC
Is there some sort of financial secret I am not seeing that lets people stay at home and play with their animals all day and still afford huge houses and cars? Do I need to win the lottery? I am all the time seeing people with the best of everything but plenty of time to spend with their animals. (Of course there is a bit of sarcasm in this, but any hints would be appreciated)

We live frugally so I can stay home while my husband works a good job. No big secret. Our house is smaller, but our place is larger. Pays to pay your bills first, save and get out of debt asap. We also waste no money eating out, buying gifts or going on vacations. All depends on your priorities in life.

My secret: Give to God first. He will take care of the rest. We lived on one income and banked the rest when we got married. Had one car, one or the other of us walked to work. Bought land, built our own modest house. I stayed home till kids were weaned, then only worked part time. There were years at a time when I'd sit down and write all of our expenses on one side of a sheet of paper, and our income on the other side. We lived frugally, no extra money for hobbies or extras. Every single month, the expense side was greater than the income side. Every single month, we gave to God first. Every single month, all bills were paid when due. Now, if we were without medical insurance, just my hubby's medications alone would equal more than his income. He drives 100 miles/day to work. We live close to the bottom of the median income level for our state. I work per diem, and often do not have any work hours for 3 weeks at a time, then only 3 - 4 hours at a time. Hubby only works 4 days/week in the winter. Bills still get paid, we are mortgage free, no car payments. Have enough money in savings to cover short term loss of income. Hubby is 3 years from retirement, and I am cautiously optimistic that our retirement investments will see us through, as long as the economy does not tank. Still, God comes first. I write a check to give to HIS kingdom at the first of every month. He has seen us through incredible hardships.

I suggest that you look into Financial Peace University. This program has helped thousands of people achieve debt free living.

I outline our situation above, cautiously. Always risky to post such personal details on a public forum. But, I do so, to give praise where it is due. It is possible to live within your means. It's not necessary to have a fancy house, new cars. We have become a society who want it all and want it now. Many people do not know how to "defer gratification".

I don't get to stay home with my babies all the time, but I made a major career change. I was busy commuting an hour and a half 'climbing the corporate ladder'. I liked my job but I realized work isn't everything.
I found a job a half a mile away from my home working for a smaller company that values family time significantly more. I also get to spend my lunch hour with my babies now! We close at 5 so I'm home by 5:05 everyday. I took a little pay cut but it was totally worth it :)

My secret: Give to God first. He will take care of the rest. We lived on one income and banked the rest when we got married. Had one car, one or the other of us walked to work. Bought land, built our own modest house. I stayed home till kids were weaned, then only worked part time. There were years at a time when I'd sit down and write all of our expenses on one side of a sheet of paper, and our income on the other side. We lived frugally, no extra money for hobbies or extras. Every single month, the expense side was greater than the income side. Every single month, we gave to God first. Every single month, all bills were paid when due. Now, if we were without medical insurance, just my hubby's medications alone would equal more than his income. He drives 100 miles/day to work. We live close to the bottom of the median income level for our state. I work per diem, and often do not have any work hours for 3 weeks at a time, then only 3 - 4 hours at a time. Hubby only works 4 days/week in the winter. Bills still get paid, we are mortgage free, no car payments. Have enough money in savings to cover short term loss of income. Hubby is 3 years from retirement, and I am cautiously optimistic that our retirement investments will see us through, as long as the economy does not tank. Still, God comes first. I write a check to give to HIS kingdom at the first of every month. He has seen us through incredible hardships.

I suggest that you look into Financial Peace University. This program has helped thousands of people achieve debt free living.

I outline our situation above, cautiously. Always risky to post such personal details on a public forum. But, I do so, to give praise where it is due. It is possible to live within your means. It's not necessary to have a fancy house, new cars. We have become a society who want it all and want it now. Many people do not know how to "defer gratification".

I love this! Yes, whatever you do, make sure you keep God first! Let's remember:

But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you- Matthew 6:33 (Don't know if I completely worded this right :p)

My truck is over 30 yrs old and doesn't have working AC, the house has plenty to fix but my expenses are low

+1. 20 year-old truck, no AC, just turned over 377,000 miles. No debt except for kids college loans. Married 36 years to same woman. I think that's the key. Divorces are extremely expensive; that's why they work so well.

At 60, we still both work like dogs but we make the time available for what's important to us. I don't think we would know what to do if we didn't work. Probably get on each other's nerves a get divorce and be poor.

Back
Top Bottom