How Do Roosters Identify Hens?

I currently have 2 flocks. 1 with 4 hens and a cockerel who are coming up on a year old. The second flock is 6 pullets. The pullets flock and the other flock are completely separate. The cockerel doesn't like his hens associating with the pullets. That doesn't mean when chicken time comes that they just let the pullets get treats. No way. Nah, they bully the pullets a bit. But if one of the hens starts showing too much interest in bullying the pullets, then the cockerel will step in and make her leave.

He's pretty demanding on them and brings them all around the property in search of food. The other flock isn't even on his radar except he doesn't want to be around them. He's pretty suspicious. The pullets are almost as large as the hens so I assume they should start laying before too long. It's odd because I assume there will be a pretty clear pecking order created. Right now, I feel like they all fall in line behind the cockerel and all get along just fine. He grew up with them and has always been the biggest and dominate one.

Can't wait for the new pullets to start laying because my 4 mature girls need a break.
I think I'd rather integrate mine into the flock when they're a couple weeks old.Having 2 flocks isn't possible with limited space.

I do not know how roosters identify the 'state' of a hen but good mature roosters know which hens are laying and which are not. My rooster will not mate any pullets until they are about to lay, and he will not breed any hens that are not laying. He will also not feed those hens, he will only give food to hens that are laying.
I haven't got a clue how he knows this but he does without fail.
I want one of his baby roos, this is awesome!

I had a cockerel mate an upturned bowl while the other cockerel was mating him.
As well as bowls, he also mated my leg, shoes, a twig, etc
Seeing a rooster mate a twig is hilarious. He broke it 😂
I've also had cockerels mate my shoes and feet. And two flew onto my back and tried to mate with my head. It took a bit of time to teach them that I'm not a hen. Now they are two years old and they understand. 😂

A twig though. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I've never had the pleasure of watching that. 😂😂😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom