1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do they act

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moodlymoo, Sep 26, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I am about to go on vacation but I have 3 gals who are about to start laying, or so I am told. How do they act right before they lay the first eggs?

2. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Mine started clucking so loud I thought something was wrong. They would also pace back and forth and in and out of the coop. Then they started laying! Some of them still cluck so loud before they lay I am constantly looking out the window checking on them!

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    They start doing "the squat". You'll know it when you see it.

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:We were on vacation last week, and two of our girls started laying the day we left! I knew they were holding out on me. But yes, the squawking and clucking, pacing, and squatting are definitely signs.

5. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Thanks! Now I know what to look for when my Gladys decides she's ready. Although she definitely has a mind of her own. And am I the only one who thinks a hen behaves like a human about to give birth (pacing, clucking, etc.)?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by