1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do they get colored Easter chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frozen Feathers, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Is it some sort of dye they feed the hens or do they color the chicks after they've hatched?? I always wondered that....

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Back closer to Easter time, someone here said that they inject the dye into the egg while the chick is developing. I don't know if that's always the case, but it would probably be easier than dipping them after they hatch. To me, it's a wonder they can even hatch after having a hole popped in the egg.

3. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I always thought that the down was dyed with food coloring...after hatch. I don't know, I've never dyed a chicken before!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can do either in egg or after hatch. It is easier after hatch so most do it that way I would say. You can hatch chicks after popping a hole in an egg, you can even hatch chicks that you window (cut a hole in the side), disect in or out parts of the developing chick, and tape back shut. Hatch rate is low but it is possble.

5. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    they inject the chick a week or 2 before it hatches. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by