How do they know?!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Amarisus, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    So just the other day I had my first hawk attack [​IMG] it wouldn't have been so bad but it broke into the chicken run wich I thought was hawk proof. We have netting and plywood all across the top. But the wind had ripped some of the netting and it got in but couldn't get out [​IMG] so you can imagine how much of a pain that was [​IMG] It killed one of my polish that had JUST started laying [​IMG] So after that was all done and over with I hadn't expected any eggs for awhile what with the traumatic experience and all. Well when I went down there this morning there were nine eggs [​IMG] Thats the most I have ever collected in one day. I ran up to show my dad and my mom hears us talking about how many eggs there are and comes in saying "Of COURSE they would lay that many today! I just bougt some eggs yesterday!" [​IMG] I guess they showed her [​IMG]

2. Rileysixchix

Rileysixchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry to hear about your lost polish. [​IMG] how did you get the hawk out? And did it only get the one? And that is murphys law working for ya right there! Glad to hear your chickens are doing well after such a traumatic experience!

3. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Its ok I wasn't super attached to it or anything but its still sad [​IMG] It only got the one, the others somehow all crammed into one little area to hide from it. I just left the door open and chased it out >.> I'm sure thats not legal but if I had called animal control by the time they had got there who knows what would have happened [​IMG] and its hard to think logically with your mom outside screaming at you "Its going to attack you It's going to kill more chickens do something!!" over and over lol

4. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Honestly, I think I would have chased the hawk out, too. No sense in leaving it there to damage your whole flock! Sorry to hear that you lost one of the hens, but it's good that the rest managed to hide so well.

5. Amarisus

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    Lol ya they hid so well I thought that half my flock was just missing. I never thought that they could all fit in one spot lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by