How do u feed them layer mash???!!

chickenman786

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Hi is there any particular way to feed layers mash to my hens. Do you need to mix it water or do you just feed them the powder& grain mixture as it is dry. Im asking this because my hens are not eating it.

No matte what change you make, it seems that chicken's often need a few days to a week to adjust. That's just the way they are.

You can pour it in a trough and eventually, they'll eat it. But our experience is that they much prefer it in a damp, but not soupy, mash or oatmeal like consistency. It it happens to have some left over gravy watered down, soup, near spoiled milk, the juice from the crock pot, or anything to help flavor it a bit? Watch out!!! They'll love it.

Like fermented feed, it is best delivered in a trough. Sometimes, the old ways just work better, especially if you're using an old time style feed.

I preferred the Pellets over mash since any that go spilled could be picked up off the ground.

However when I had some young ones and needed to switch to grower for the whole coop, I would mix it with water or milk to make it mushy. They weren't inclined to make a mess of it and spread it all over and waste it.

We use the heavy black rubber dishes you can get at Fleet Farm to feed our mash. We mix 2/3 layer feed and 1/3 corn screenings from the local elevator. The mash isn't soupy, so if/when the girls step on the side and flip the dish up, the mash stays put and the dish flops back down. Even if they try to "scratch" at the mash, the dish stays put or flops back down as does the mash. It has worked well for us so far.

Back
Top Bottom