How do u know when the hen is ready?

sonderah

Songster
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Hardinsburg, Ky
So I have a hen turkey, and a Tom. Idk how old either is, but the Tom is about 2 months older. He keeps strutting his stuff and trying to put his wing around her, but she just walks away. I got to thinking, idk their mating process, my 1st turkeys. What will she do when she is ready?

When she's ready, she will quite simply sit down in front of him. She knows when she's ready, and when she's ready, you'll know, it's going to be obvious enough. Best wishes. ;)

Last edited:
Pretty much. The tom may be in want, but it's the hen that makes the decision. She'll flop down for him when she wants to and until then he's just going to have to cope. It's very late in the season for this year so she will likely wait until next spring now. Sometimes though you'll get a hen who will lay for an extended period or even all year. I had one last year that laid for ten months.

Pretty much. The tom may be in want, but it's the hen that makes the decision. She'll flop down for him when she wants to and until then he's just going to have to cope. It's very late in the season for this year so she will likely wait until next spring now. Sometimes though you'll get a hen who will lay for an extended period or even all year. I had one last year that laid for ten months.

my hen did this today
and my tom has mounted her three times today will she lay

I had no idea but came home today to an egg on the coop floor. We have 2 bbb, one Tom and one hen. They are locked in the coop getting ready for butchering. Total happy surprise!

Back
Top Bottom