1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do u tell diff b/t speckled suss chick and ee.. or BR and Dominiqu

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CHIC, Sep 23, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Ok so I got my chicks and I need to know how to tell the diff bt them. I got an assortment and I can't tell the diff bt speckled sussex and EE or Barred Rocks and Dominiques. Any suggestions?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Barred rocks & dominiques ought to be black with a white spot on their head. EEs often have muffs, which will give them fluffy faces, they also often have green or yellow legs. Speckled Sussex, in US, have chipmunk stripes.

Barred Rocks ought to have single combs, I think dominiques ought to have rose combs (I've never seen a dominique), most, but not all, EEs have a pea comb, Sussex ought to have single comb.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In principle you can tell by the combs - but if this is mail order hatchery stock there may be a certain amount of 'wait til they get older to be certain' [​IMG]

Pat

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The sussex should have pink/white legs and a single comb.

5. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Ok.... It is going to drive me crazy

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you post pics that clearly show combs (what there is of them yet) and legs, people can probably make a pretty reasonable guess for ya [​IMG]

pat

7. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Look at the chick pictures on Feathersite. That should help.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Some of your chipmunk striped chicks could also be brown leghorns, so there's another breed to try and figure out [​IMG]

Dominiques have rosecombs, BR have straight. I thought I had 3 BR until a got a better look....

EE could have beards and muffs, so that's another way to tell. A lot of people (I assume you got an MPC rainbow order?) that have gotten EE lately have gotten ones that aren't chipmunk striped.

9. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Speckled Sussex are usually a more red color...and no muffs...I just had both hatch today....and my SS are red with dark stripes and my EEs are yellow with stripes...

10. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Pics please please please!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by