HOW do we cull this ROO?

lovethepeep

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
We have a big, aggressive, Roo that needs to be culled. I have tried to post him on forum's for sale, and even free, but no one seems to want a big aggressive roo
roll.png
. So... we are planning to cull him tonight or tomorrow. He attacks my children, and will even come after us when we go to put food or water in the run area. My husband nor myself have any experience with snapping their necks, and to be honest we are both a little nervous to get near him... unless *maybe* in the middle of the night. In the past when we've had lame hens, my husband has just put them half way in a hole and shot them... I just HATE that though! Is there a thread elsewhere on here that explains how to deal with such a beast? Would an inexperienced chicken owner have any business "trying" these crack the neck methods on a big scary roo? You can tell I'm nervous!!!
Any advice would be awesome!! THX:)

ps- he happens to be away from the other hens tonight roosting outside on top of the run... b/c he couldn't find his way back in the henhouse before dusk... so perfect timing I guess...

Last edited:
Got a hatchet or a good, sharp knife? It's quick for the bird. We put two nails in a stump or log, put the neck between the nails, pull just enough to stretch it a little and lop off his head. He'll flop, so be prepared to get bloody. The meat section here might have some better suggestions. You're doing the right thing, getting rid of him.

How do you feel about dressing him for dinner?

Check out the threads under Meat section.

I would recommend chopping his head off and processing him for dinner. I normally let my Dad do the killing as I am squimish on that part.
Have you processed a bird for the table yet?

Perhaps there is somebody near you that you can pay to process him? Then you get the meat back and dinner??

I don't think I have the stomach to do the deed myself, but I'd gladly pay someone $15 for 5 lbs of nice clean chicken meat!

my husband is going out of town tuesday... he didn't want to deal with processing this time around... neither did I. He just shot him off his roost with a .22. Bye Bye Birdie
hmm.png

I dont' know why but this struck me as funny:/
D.gif

Felt bad for your roo..but would love to know 'where' to get a bird processed in southeastern Ohio..We have Deer processing stations all over the place ...wonder if they will do chickens too. I'm of the mindsiet that I would probably rather Pay someone to do the 'deed' than do it myself.
hu.gif
.unless of course we end up with a TEOTWAWKI
hide.gif
and I am forced to do it...I 've been reading and "you-tubing' the whole process.. ick...
tongue.gif
not pretty.

The hatchet and nails in the log worked for me. I have heard you can hire amish ladies to process chickens fairly cheap.

I think you did the right thing for your flock and your family.

Hubs and I have talked this over a lot lately, trying to sort all our opinions out before we actually have chickens, so when the time comes, there will be no dilly dallying or hesitation due to not knowing how to go about it. (Not slamming you, AT ALL! Just stating I really want to think it all through.)

Hubs has asked to shoot them with the .22 as well. He thinks it would be fun.
roll.png
Dope. For some reason, while I think it might be a faster more sudden death, I'm afraid he'd miss or graze it and then it would be in pain. I'm all for either the piece of wood with some nails in it to stretch the neck out and using a hatchet, but as someone mentioned here, the body would be free to flop around. Hubs doesn't think I will fair well with blood squirting everywhere all over the place. (I honestly think in that case, I'd come up with something to hold the body down as well then.) Or else I'd go for the cone and a good sharp knife, cutting the jugulars, as was shown in multiple "how-to's" I've read and watched. Hubs says, "Well use the cone, AND the hatchet. Grab its head through the cone, stretch it, and whack." I wasn't sure about it but he thinks nailing up a wooden chopping block down and behind the cone (where the head will stretch across) would make it better and faster and contain the blood to one direction at least. I guess I agree with this, but without a block to smack against, I dunno, I'd worry I'd mess up and be mean to the bird. Hubs laughed at me when I said that to him. "Be MEAN to the bird??? You're going to kill it! How much meaner can you be to it!?" I get his point, its not that he thinks I'm being cruel to cull or butcher for processing (which I plan on learning how to do myself), but instead from the birds point of view. lol

Back
Top Bottom