How do we ensure we have enough oxygen in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigoledude, Apr 3, 2016.

1. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    It's been some years since I incubated eggs. I am gonna build a new smaller, simpler incubator this time. My hatch rate was always pretty good but, my incubator was a complicated build. I don't want to spend as much time with the bells-n-whistles this time.

This incubator will be forced air. And, it is obvious that the developing chicks need a steady supply of oxygen. In the past, I allowed as much outside air in to the point of not making it difficult to keep a constant temperature inside the incubator

Does anyone here have a simpler way of knowing just how much air to allow in without jeopardizing the chicks? Yet, making it making it easy to keep the temperature perfect?

How are you guys regulating y'alls air?.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    STC 1000 or bimetal for temp control. Check Sally Sunshine's cooler bator build. Rush Lane Poultry also has some good tutorials. If you have too much air flow, you can always block some off with packing tape. I also find that cardboard or tinfoil, or other air occluding bits and pieces are helpful at directing airflow to help keep temps stable throughout box. Wishing you the best. I think the bator build is a big part of the fun of hatching eggs. (My hubby wouldn't say that, b/c he's my electrical man!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by