How do we manage to get into these situations? Collected another "Slightly Damaged Stray"...

ep.gif
duc.gif

Well, I led Gus around the barn lot for about an hour. That's right...I led Gus. Gus followed. That's major progress. Cash followed along at my heels, and didn't show the slightest bit of fear around Gus. Even sat at his feet for a second...Gus sniffed her, he looked at me like "Really? Another stray?" If horses could roll their eyes...he would have.
roll.png

I think Cash will fit in just fine with the rest of the strays. I brought her home intending to rehome her as soon as she had a chance to heal from being tossed...but Lillian informed me that this was HER puppy, so I guess Cash has found a place here.

Well, I led Gus around the barn lot for about an hour. That's right...I led Gus. Gus followed. That's major progress. Cash followed along at my heels, and didn't show the slightest bit of fear around Gus. Even sat at his feet for a second...Gus sniffed her, he looked at me like "Really? Another stray?" If horses could roll their eyes...he would have.
roll.png

I think Cash will fit in just fine with the rest of the strays. I brought her home intending to rehome her as soon as she had a chance to heal from being tossed...but Lillian informed me that this was HER puppy, so I guess Cash has found a place here.
yesss.gif

If you only knew how many rabbits I've kept because DD "claimed" them.
th.gif

Well, Lily needed a new puppy anyway, right? So cute! Gus is looking better.

Well, I had an interview today, and worked with Gus a bit. He was in a stubborn mood, but he's still making a lot of progress leading. He followed me without much trouble, hardly stopped at all, and when we worked with the feet, as I always end our sessions with asking him to pick up his feet and letting me mess with them, he picked them both right up without incident. This is incredibly important, because Gus is very large, and when we do get the farrier to come out, it will be a lot of help if he's at least as comfortable as possible with someone messing with his feet. I want to thank everyone who has donated, shared his page, and sent encouraging notes and emails. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. It means so much to know that Gus has other people in his corner as well. He has come a long way from the horse I brought home the first day, and I remember sitting on the trailer thinking I was the only friend he had in the world. I'm glad to know I'm wrong. Thank you so much everyone. We're still a long way from our goal, but each and every one of you have helped us get closer, and for that, words cannot express the enormous gratitude we have.

Blue, she does need a puppy. That is her bud.
thumbsup.gif

Hello to you lovely people. I've only just joined BYC and yours is the first story I've read.
I'm so happy to hear such a heart warming tale.
When there are people around like you I know there's so much good in the world that somehow gets overlooked and swamped by negative stories we see and hear in the news.
At the moment we're trying to help a battered turtle dove find his wings again but nothing like the thing that you're doing. So much luck to you and I promise that if I win the lottery I shall send you a big lump sum to help.
PS
I've joined BYC but I'm not ready to get my chickens untill 2013. Hope I haven't joined under false pretense !!!

Hello to you lovely people. I've only just joined BYC and yours is the first story I've read.
I'm so happy to hear such a heart warming tale.
When there are people around like you I know there's so much good in the world that somehow gets overlooked and swamped by negative stories we see and hear in the news.
At the moment we're trying to help a battered turtle dove find his wings again but nothing like the thing that you're doing. So much luck to you and I promise that if I win the lottery I shall send you a big lump sum to help.
PS
I've joined BYC but I'm not ready to get my chickens untill 2013. Hope I haven't joined under false pretense !!!
Hi uk plume and
welcome-byc.gif

It's ok not to have chickens, lots of people here on BYC don't have any yet. It's a great place to learn. I wish I had joined sooner than I did.

Em - Remember to be consistent but not too predictable. The two halves of a horse's brain are not connected in the middle. This means that although he learns something on the right side of his body (like picking up his right front foot) he will have to be taught it on the left side. The second side learns faster because he has the memory of the experience but he has to have the knowledge imprinted on both sides, weird, huh?

I'm sure you are using the same que on all four feet, which is important, but remember to hold the foot up high and really stretch the muscles and tendons to the correct position for the farrier. The front hooves need to come all the way up to the belly height just behind the elbow and actually be to the outside enough to get a man's leg comfortably between it and the horses side. They also have to be placed on a stand in front of the horse so the leg has to stretch out in front like shaking hands. Bad description, but you get the picture, right? You will have to gradually work up to those positions but your farrier will appreciate it. The back legs need to be stretched out behind the horse and rested on your upper thigh (when you are facing the opposite direction the horce is facing.) The last thing is to remember that the amount of time he has to hold this feet up is longer when he is actually getting worked on. Increase the amount of time that each is held up a bit each day and get him used to standing on three legs for at least 5-10 minutes at a time.

I am sure enjoying living vicariously through you and Gus.

Last edited:
Anybody wanna guess what breed "Cash" is? I'm guessing texas heeler, or fiest. Terry says wishful thinking on the heeler.
roll.png

In any case....she's the only "Cash" we've seen come in and stay for quite awhile!
gig.gif
Poor pup, she looks pretty good considering her ordeal!

As far breed goes she look like a Jack Russel mix to me.

Back
Top Bottom