How do we manage to get into these situations? Collected another "Slightly Damaged Stray"...

AWWWWW!! Lily has a puppy!!! I don't blame you for stopping and getting her off the side of the road. Some people need to be
duc.gif
I'd better shut up.... She's so pretty!! My first thought was Jack Russell mix but I'm not a "dog" person, per se...Every dog we've ever had, with the exception of Blue (Blue Tick Hound) and Ranger (Walker Hound), has been a mutt. I'm glad she was "thrown" into your lives. It's obvious she needed someone special. Her and Lily look so cute in the pics!!

I am so glad the donations are up!!! I've been emailing the link to people trying to raise awareness. I hope they really kick off now. And Gus is looking good. Y'all are doing a fantastic job.
thumbsup.gif

Maybe post an ad in your local craigslist and explain the situation and ask for donations towards the gelding fee's. Just be ready for some jerks to respond but you might be surprised who will see the ad and help.

I don't even go look at free horses anymore. Just to depressing

Em - Remember to be consistent but not too predictable. The two halves of a horse's brain are not connected in the middle. This means that although he learns something on the right side of his body (like picking up his right front foot) he will have to be taught it on the left side. The second side learns faster because he has the memory of the experience but he has to have the knowledge imprinted on both sides, weird, huh?

I'm sure you are using the same que on all four feet, which is important, but remember to hold the foot up high and really stretch the muscles and tendons to the correct position for the farrier. The front hooves need to come all the way up to the belly height just behind the elbow and actually be to the outside enough to get a man's leg comfortably between it and the horses side. They also have to be placed on a stand in front of the horse so the leg has to stretch out in front like shaking hands. Bad description, but you get the picture, right? You will have to gradually work up to those positions but your farrier will appreciate it. The back legs need to be stretched out behind the horse and rested on your upper thigh (when you are facing the opposite direction the horce is facing.) The last thing is to remember that the amount of time he has to hold this feet up is longer when he is actually getting worked on. Increase the amount of time that each is held up a bit each day and get him used to standing on three legs for at least 5-10 minutes at a time.

I am sure enjoying living vicariously through you and Gus.

OH! One more thing, don't forget to bang on the bottom of his feet! Tap with three fingers, then slap with your palm, then hit the inside edge and outside with the back of a brush or a hammer (not TOO hard but make alot of noise with it!) That has to be a weird sensation for a horse who has never experienced it, best to have gotten used to it before the shoes are going on.

Well, most recent Gus Date...Gus hasn't been doing much. Eating some hay, leading, picking up feet, and getting jealous when no one is paying attention to him. I'll update more later.

It has been awhile since I updated, and I apologize! It has been crazy busy here on the farm, and I just haven't had the energy to update when I walk in the house! Gus has been leading wonderfully, and isn't showing any stubborn-ness now. He's filling out better, he's been wormed, he's letting me pick up his feet and tap on the bottoms, so a farrier visit will be in his future very soon! His month is up on Friday, so he will head to the vet for a checkup, shots, and maybe another worming, then we hope he'll be going to the trainers. If not, it'll be spring before he goes off to train. Anyway, He's doing much better. He's filled out quite a bit, but we still have a ways to go!

I also want to thank each and every donor once again. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU. You are all angels on earth, and you have no idea how much stress you have taken off of us. Each and every one of you are an answer to our prayers, and because of you, Gus is getting his second chance. So Thank You. We have had some amazingly generous donations, and I am humbled by the wonderful friends that we have, and even the kindness from strangers we have received. Thank you all so much. Gus is an incredibly lucky horse to have such kind people following him.

It has been awhile since I updated, and I apologize! It has been crazy busy here on the farm, and I just haven't had the energy to update when I walk in the house! Gus has been leading wonderfully, and isn't showing any stubborn-ness now. He's filling out better, he's been wormed, he's letting me pick up his feet and tap on the bottoms, so a farrier visit will be in his future very soon! His month is up on Friday, so he will head to the vet for a checkup, shots, and maybe another worming, then we hope he'll be going to the trainers. If not, it'll be spring before he goes off to train. Anyway, He's doing much better. He's filled out quite a bit, but we still have a ways to go!

I also want to thank each and every donor once again. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU. You are all angels on earth, and you have no idea how much stress you have taken off of us. Each and every one of you are an answer to our prayers, and because of you, Gus is getting his second chance. So Thank You. We have had some amazingly generous donations, and I am humbled by the wonderful friends that we have, and even the kindness from strangers we have received. Thank you all so much. Gus is an incredibly lucky horse to have such kind people following him.
Hey EM when did you leave NC and move to MS? and i love this story what a wonderful thing you have done for Gus.

hugs.gif

Yes Ma'am I am! Miss seeing you at shows, but maybe we can both still make one of the NC shows. I travel back and forth quite a bit.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom