How do y’all raise your geese?

TwistedTayy

Songster
Apr 30, 2021
Douglasville, GA
I understand brooding. I’m not asking about that.

I just picked up some cotton patch goose eggs. I’ve posted on here about my previous geese (supposedly pure pilgrim eggs and hatched what I thought were a pair but turned out to be a gander and a Toulouse gander). I recently found out that the guy I rehomed them to rehomed them and then they were rehomed again and I found a Facebook post looking to rehome them yet again. I rehomed them Jan 2022….

Apparently they do not like other geese, fight drakes and try to claim ducks. I raised them with ducks but that’s what I mainly raise.

What can I do in regards to raising them to have them be mentally well adjusted? I’m so jealous of people on here and social media that have a “buddy” goose. I don’t need that I guess. I’m planning on building them their own pen and run but I’m a big proponent of free ranging and geese are great grazers. I’d like to be able to have everyone together (outside of breeding season).

It’s breeding season so they’re going to be more agressive this time of year, nothing can change that, what a shame they keep getting rehomed before they have a chance to relax and adjust.

If you want geese to bond with you you have to put in the time, spend a lot of time with them like you would a pet or child, if you don’t they'll only bond with each other and view you as a nuisance, especially in breeding season.
During breeding season they may become more amourous to you but it’s much preferable to being bitten.
If you begin neglecting that relationship some geese don’t seem bothered, others take it very seriously and get depressed, then angry.

Some geese can get along alright with other species of birds but most of the time it’s merely tolerance, some geese can’t stand chickens and ducks so it depends on their personalities. If you’re going to keep geese with ducks and chickens make sure it’s in a large enough space that they can avoid each other if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom