how do you apply DE?

mom2my2boyz

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Do you use gloves? No gloves? Mask? or no mask if it's not windy? I've bought some food grade DE but am unsure of how to apply now.
TIA!

This falls under the category of 'do as I say, not as I do!'

You should use gloves and a mask, especially if you have asthma or allergies.

I don't use either.
hide.gif
I take a scoopful, put in on the floor of the coop, and walk away until the dust settles. Then I go into the coop and rake it around a bit.

I don't breathe it for the same reasons that I don't breathe cake flour when I bake...but I do use a flour sifter and sift it around my barn floor and anywhere else where it will be needed.

This may not be right, but this is what I do: I went to the 'craft' section of WalMart to the 'bridal' (as in getting married kind) area and bought a 2 pack of 8 oz. clear plastic squeeze bottles that I think are for cake icing. The top is a screw top and has a little red cap. I bought a 10 lb. bag of food grade DE at my feed store and cut the top about 1/3 of the way. I unscrew the top from the bottle and stick it in the sack with my hand (no gloves, no mask) and use my other hand to kind of close up the bag around my hand with the bottle. Then I just scoop the DE into the bottle until I have it about 2/3 full and gently and SLOWLY remove my hand. Screw the top back on, go outside and shake the excess from your hand and the bottle around your door threshold (just so as not to waste the excess). Wallah! You have a perfect dispenser for DE. You can dispense as little or as much as you want as close to anything as you want. I think the bottles cost less than $2.00 for the two...

Wow! Thanks for the fast replies, everyone! I guess I won't worry about buying gloves or masks now!
tongue.png
Will be applying tomorrow morning so it all has time to settle while the girls are out running around for the day.
Thanks much!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom