how do you bathe a chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchik715, Dec 1, 2010.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    seems an obvious answer but i was wondering if there was anything you all had learned from your own experiences that i might find useful. i need to just wash my sick birds toosh and plan to leave the rest of her as dry as possible. any advice?

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Stick her backside in the warm water and rub off whatever it is you need off. I've heard if you need soap, Dawn is a good brand.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    As for washing tooshies, I've done it several times, and honestly - I just hold them near the water, scrub gently around there, you know, do what needs to be done, then dry her/him off. I always hold the chicken so that there's no struggle, and I usually do it at a sink.

As for a whole bird, that can be a number of other methods. Today was my first day of washing a whole chicken, and sadly it wasn't because I was going to show him.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    In a sink, with soap and warm water and then I blow dry with the air on COLD or slightly warm setting. no need to burn the tooshie.

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I use a baby bath tub... and put it on the ground with hot water close by... I try not to stress them too much... wash rinse reapeat and conditioner and rinse... toothbrush to the legs and combs and baby oil or vaseline after to keep them from drying out.. I do blowdry being careful not to burn them.

6. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I found out it was less stress (for both of us [​IMG] to put my bird in a large cooler (lid was taken off) & turn the shower on warm water & shower her, carefully rubbing & removing stuff with my fingers, rather than bathe her. To keep the rest of her mostly dry, I put the lid over her head & the rest of her body so just her butt was getting wet. She got mauled on her butt & every time I tried to push her back end into the water to give her a bath, she'd fight me. I tried setting her in warm water & slowly raising it, but she'd raise her butt, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by