1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you bathe a chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jesskoot, Jan 23, 2011.

1. jesskoot

jesskoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Central VA
    I have read several posts that say to 'give her a bath' when a hen has a nasty butt, but exactly how do you manage to do that? My husband will definitely think I've gone over the edge......

2. Hanna101

Hanna101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Connetticut
    Actiully i just wait for a rain strom to come or i use a hose from a distance. [​IMG]

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I put something non-slippery in the bottom of the sink and fill it up with water to reach the hen's back with warm not hot water and ease her in. I support her with a hand underneath and one on the back till they see it is nice. Then the biggest challenge is to keep them from relaxing too much! Dry them with a blowdryer making sure not to burn them and there you go!
    sharon

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I think using a hose from a distance is just plain inhumane. That's like hosing down prisoners or something.

You basically bathe them in the same manner you would a dog, although if a hen simply has a dirty butt, either A) she'll take care of it herself or B) just get her butt wet and work with that.

Bathing chickens is for showing, not for making sure a backyard pet is clean. Chickens naturally should not be bathed, they do that with dirt. [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I fill the sink about half way with warm (baby bath) water, set/hold the chicken in there (firmly but gently). Generally, if the water's nice and warm, the chicken will settle down really quickly and appear to enjoy it. I just use dishwashing liquid (mild), and rub/massage the gobby areas. It's really nice if you have someone to help, but you can do it on your own. The spray nozzle (low pressure of course...lol) is nice to rinse her/him off. Towel dry really well, and then either allow to house dry or blow dry. Just make sure your chicken is fully dry before going back out. [​IMG]

Edited to clarify "hose" lol

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by