How do you bathe a chicken?

ricemazter

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
I noticed recently that my chickens have gotten themselves rather filthy but I dont know exactly how to clean them. There are two of them, both are golden campines, one hen and one rooster. Im fairly certain that they have their adult feathers, but neither have reached sexual maturity yet (I read that the breed grows quickly but sexual maturity comes later). I dont know if age has anything to do with it but they hatched in late april.
My main question is how do you bathe them if at all, and do chickens have a problem with water like cats? I really have no idea (complete novice).

My 6 year old son and 4 year old grandauter filled up a five gallan bucket of water while me and mom wern't looking and dunked our houdan repeatedly. He was sopping wet and shivering but he looked better after sitting under a heat lamp for 30 minutes.

I've bathed mine in the kitchen sink in warm bath like water. I wash with dawn soap and rinse well. I bring the chicken in the bathroom and blow dry until 100% dry. I bathe whenever there is poop stuck on them.

There really is no need to bathe a chicken unless they are being shown, have mites/lice, or a poopy bottom. Just provide some sand/dirt for them to dust in.

Be very careful when bathing to not let them get chilled and make sure they do not get any water in their nose/lungs.

Back
Top Bottom