How do you bathe chickens?

EEforMe

Crowing
Sep 5, 2021
Northwest Washington, USA (near Seattle)
Hi! I’m simply wondering for the future how you bathe a chicken as it sounds to me like a process involving getting scratched, hit in the face by wings, soaked, and not to mention a very unhappy chicken. I’m fine with getting wet, scratched, etc. if that’s just the way it goes but if there’s a way to do it that will avoid this it would be good to know!

I get two totes filled half way with warm (not hot, but not cold at all either), one with dawn soap and one not. You hold the bird with two hands, ducking the body in the soapy water (but not letting them drink or breath it, or get it in their eyes) before ducking in the plain water until all the soap is out. Then you let the bird loose to air dry.

Obviously you want to do this on hot days so they don't get chilled

I get two totes filled half way with warm (not hot, but not cold at all either), one with dawn soap and one not. You hold the bird with two hands, ducking the body in the soapy water (but not letting them drink or breath it, or get it in their eyes) before ducking in the plain water until all the soap is out. Then you let the bird loose to air dry.

Obviously you want to do this on hot days so they don't get chilled
Are you saying, just basically a dip bath or do you actually scrub them down with soap?

Most of my chickens that need bathed are due to coryza and mucous build up on the face and feathers on their back. I only use a wet cloth and wipe their face and beaks to clean away the dried mucous. The i use the wet cloth on their back to clean the feathers. I do not evsr need to submerge a chicken in water.

Another case for bathing are epsom salt bathes i have only read about on this forum. When a hen is egg bound, a warm soak helps supposedly although i have never had an egg bound problem.

Other than that, i don't think chickens want to be submerged. They take dust baths, and are very good at cleaning their feathers with their beaks. Only when they are sick and encrusted with mucous do they need help bathing. I evwn have a mite problem, and still do not bathe them underwater.

For bathing I use a large bucket about half way full. I haven't had any problems as I have only needed to bathe one chicken, a leghorn cross. She is very gentle and patient, but of course this may not be the case for you. Their is no need to bathe a chicken unless it the chicken is overly dirty and not able to preen the dirt out themselves, having been a while.

Back
Top Bottom