How do you bathe chickens?

Are you saying, just basically a dip bath or do you actually scrub them down with soap?
Kinda both. I move feathers away from the skin so water can get therr, but when I bathe, it's because the birds have bugs, and I need to drown those things. Not literally scrubbing, just moving feathers around

Kinda both. I move feathers away from the skin so water can get therr, but when I bathe, it's because the birds have bugs, and I need to drown those things. Not literally scrubbing, just moving feathers around
Thank you for specifying. I've got red roost mites that have been stubborn. Had to switch up the pest spray I was using for something stronger but I was considering a bath as well.

Thank you for specifying. I've got red roost mites that have been stubborn. Had to switch up the pest spray I was using for something stronger but I was considering a bath as well.
I don't know if a bath will help with those since they don't live on the birds. My bugs live on the birds (I guess that makes them lice?)

Doesn't anybody bathe chickens for shows? I'd like to hear how that's done. @CapricornFarm you bathe chickens, care to share your techniques?
I have a plastic bin that's meant for washing dishes. I use it for washing my chickens. I do the bathing outside. I fill gallon jugs with warm water. I put a gallon of water in the pan, then put the chicken in slowly. Pouring dilute dishwashing liquid on once the chicken is wet, i let them sit for about 10 minutes after i lather it up on the bird. I lift the chicken up out of the water. Then pour clear water on the chicken until all the soap is out. Wrapping the chicken in a towel , i dry it off. Then i put the chicken in a cage and point a small personal heater at it until it is completely dry. Palmolive is my liquid of choice as it will kill bugs, but i may use blue dawn if the bird has foreign substances in its feathers.

I have a plastic bin that's meant for washing dishes. I use it for washing my chickens. I do the bathing outside. I fill gallon jugs with warm water. I put a gallon of water in the pan, then put the chicken in slowly. Pouring dilute dishwashing liquid on once the chicken is wet, i let them sit for about 10 minutes after i lather it up on the bird. I lift the chicken up out of the water. Then pour clear water on the chicken until all the soap is out. Wrapping the chicken in a towel , i dry it off. Then i put the chicken in a cage and point a small personal heater at it until it is completely dry. Palmolive is my liquid of choice as it will kill bugs, but i may use blue dawn if the bird has foreign substances in its feathers.
Thanks, Cap makes sense. I was afraid dunking a soapy bird in a dishpan of water might not get all the soap out. Some, or even most, maybe, but not all.

Back
Top Bottom