How do you become a NPIP?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 18, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I'd really ike to have my birds certified for my birthday from my parents (because I don't know if people under 18 can) and I am wondering whats the pros, and cons. How much does it cost (Wisconsin) how long will it last? is there paper work that I need to fill out? What do they test for? is it easy to become NPIP or hard?

thanks [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

http://datcp.wi.gov/uploads/Animals/pdf/NPIPApplication.pdf Thats the application form for WI. Looks like the test will cost you around $120. There are contact phone #'s at the top.

NPIP tests for pullorum-typoid (salmonella). It's an easy blood test. They prick a vein in the wing and mix a drop of blood with antigen, if it clumps up the bird is positive. Easy to do, at least here in NY. I'd call and ask them about getting tested, their requirements, etc.

Dr. Donald P. O'Connor, Animal Health Division, Department of Agriculture, P.O. Box 8911, Madison 53708-
    8911. Phone: (608)224-4882, FAX: (608)224-4871.
    E-mail: [email protected]

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/osa-npip.pdf

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. SundownWaterfowl

Some more info... http://datcp.wi.gov/Animals/Poultry/index.aspx

Poultry and game birds sold or moved within Wisconsin – whether for breeding, hatching, sale or show – have until now been required to be from flocks enrolled in or associated with the National Poultry Improvement Program (NPIP). Now, small poultry and game bird producers in Wisconsin have an alternative if they want to sell or move live birds or eggs, or take live birds to fairs, swap meets and exhibitions. They can enroll with the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection as Wisconsin tested flocks or Wisconsin associate flocks.

To enroll a flock as a Wisconsin tested flock, the owner must test annually for Salmonella pullorum, fowl typhoid and, in the case of turkeys, Mycoplasma gallisepticum. A Wisconsin associate flock consists entirely of birds obtained from a Wisconsin tested flock. It's free to enroll in either program.

Enrolled flocks can be tested by a certified poultry tester. To find a tester in your area, call 608-224-4872.

Enrollment in these testing programs allows you to move birds or hatching eggs within Wisconsin. Poultry, game birds, or hatching eggs imported from other states must still be from NPIP flocks, or equivalent programs in the state where they originate. If you are sending birds or hatching eggs out of Wisconsin, you'll need to comply with the regulations of the destination state.

If you are raising birds only for your own use, or selling dressed poultry or eggs for eating,your birds do not need to be tested.​

4. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
  5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Which would be better to get done NPIP or Wisconsin texted flock?

6. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    ok so I need to be NPIP? right since Id like to ship birds to other states, like show birds (seramas)
    I am not going to have this done for a while though.

7. SundownWaterfowl

I believe WI has their own NPIP equivilent, which is the Wisconsin Tested Flock. If your breeding/hatching/selling eggs you would choose Fanciers/Exhibition.

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Curious about the NPIP program. What happens if your birds fail the test, and show positive for the illness? [​IMG]

9. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:And what if your not legal? [​IMG]

10. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Someone may come along and correct me but my understanding on NPIP testing is that it is voluntary for small time farms and that the testing was started for larger farms in the early 1900's and the diseases they test for are almost nonexistent and is now more of a monitoring scheme. The diseases that are tested for are a more serious form that travels vertically and is harder to eradicate. It is a good insurance to have if an outbreak occurs for a legitimate business but for a small farmer it is more of a star by your name. There are other diseases that are more prevalent to worry about. Although a vertically transmitted disease is harder to deal with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by