How do you bond with chicks?!?

What breeds are your chicks, and how old? Some breeds, and even individual birds, are friendlier than others.

Generally speaking, spend lots of time with them, speak calmly to them, and avoid sudden movements around them if they're easily spooked. If you just got them, they'll need time to adjust to their new environment...and you.

I've found that gently handling them often and taking them on short trips outside in a safe area (weather permitting) has helped skittish chicks become calmer. Some never become friendly, though, and I consider that just part of being a prey animal - the friendly ones seem much more likely to be preyed upon. 😕

The truly human-oriented ones ("lap chickens") have been anomalies, but they've been great fun to have around.

I just got my chicks and they are so skittish! how should I bond with them?:confused:
I just got my 10 yesterday. We have a couple more skittish than the rest. But what we did last night was taken them out and snuggle them up in our arms, or under our necks or on our lap so they could have that heat still but also snuggle in and get used to us. The ones we did it with snuggled down in and went to sleep. I figured that was a good start.

I know others put food in the palm of their hand and place that in their brooder and stay still and they should come over and start to eat out of your hand. then they will associate your hand with good things.

I sit and talk to them.
I don’t reach in to grab them or touch them other than when I am cleaning the brooder. When you reach in, come from the side and not straight down; a predator comes straight down.

I catch mine once or twice a day to clean the brooder. I sneak in a forced snuggle and pet each time, touch feet and sometimes open a wing. They start to get used to it especially if you put them out in the grass for a bit. After a few weeks they are all better. Though until grown mine have never been super huggie. Once they are out with the flock they become treat oriented very quickly. 😊

Here is Fajita and Taco snuggling while my daughter holds them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_092435847.jpg
    IMG_20210411_092435847.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom