How do you break a broody hen turkey?

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
Yes, I'm dead serious! My one year old BR hen quit laying about two months ago. She was going into the chicken coop and laying her eggs in a corner. I collected all eggs daily to keep her from setting. Then she got into the habit of going into the cat carrier (that I use for a nesting box, by the way the chickens love it) She would get stuck because she couldn't turn around in it or back up. I would have to grab her by the base of her tail feathers and pull her out. After the hens lay their eggs she keeps going in the box or dragging the eggs out to set on them. She doesn't do this everyday but she is really causing problems blocking off the nesting box to the other hens that need to lay. Or trapping them in it. I'm concerned that when the temps soar and she is stuck in the cat carrier (if we are gone most of the day), she may get ill. I could take out the carrier but it serves a great purpose as the chickens love it and it keeps the droppings off of them. Yes, it is under a roost. That is why I like it. I have read ways to break a broody chicken and I'm sure it would apply to a turkey as well? Or just keep pushing her off the eggs and hope time will cure her?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had to remove mine from the egg laying population and lock her out of the nest box area, it took about a week. I was getting really concerned because she was so thin after being broody for almost two months
ep.gif
It worked and now she is gaining her weight back. I think they are all different but that's what worked for me.

I use large carriers too. I do have a few small ones that I have had turkeys stuck in. I just take everything down for about a week or how ever long it takes to break the brooding cycle. I up there protein (turkey starter) and give the boiled eggs, fish and grated carrots to get them laying again.

Thanks for your responses.
I was hoping that she would stop before long. I really was trying to avoid taking out the carrier since the chickens use it. If taking out the carrier will break my broody turkey, then that is what I'll do. She is not thin yet but that wouldn't take long. I just didn't think a chicken or turkey would go broody especially if they are not laying eggs (which she hasn't since early April).
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom