How do you breed a frizzle silkie like this one?

Chocolate_Chick

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Hi

Before now the only frizzle silkie's I've seen have been smoothed feathered. A silkie breeder I follow on facebook uploaded a picture of a frizzle silkie they made this year and she looks amazing, so fluffy! I wondered how they'd kept the silkie feathering and the frizzle gene, anyone know?

105690238_3642316882449455_6212235883468632247_n.jpg

A frizzle silkie is called a sizzle. You have to breed a non sizzle to a sizzle for sizzle babies, and you would get some normal silkies to. Both birds have to be a silkie, a silkie that doesn’t have silkies feathers is not a pure silkies. Do not breed sizzle x sizzle.

The frizzle gene and silkie genes are seperate genes so one chicken can have both. A chicken will need two copies of the silkie gene to show silkie feathers, but only one copy of the frizzle gene.

You need to start with any chicken that has the frizzle gene- the more it looks like a silkie (like in your first pic) the better/quicker it will be. Breed your frizzle to a silkie and keep any of the frizzled offspring (approx 50% will be frizzled), keep breeding the offspring back to a regular silkie and keeping the frizzled offspring until they look like silkies but with frizzled feathers. As others have mentioned you need to keep breeding back to regular silkies as you cannot breed two frizzled chickens together (regardless of whether or not they have the sikie gene).

Back
Top Bottom