1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you bring in your free rangers.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jferlisi, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i was wondering how you all get your free range birds into the run when you need them to go in. I am kinda tired of herding them with a rake back into the run when i need to leave. They have scratch out there always so i tried food. I used to bang on a bucket when gave them bugs but that doesn't work anymore. What do you all suggest i try?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

If they are free ranging, they don't need continuous feed available. Just feed them each evening in the run and you shouldn't have a problem. I wouldn't make scratch available at all times either. This should be given as a treat or supplement but not as a steady ration.

Only put out enough food for them to eat in one meal each evening. This will save you on your feed bill, your birds will go to bed with a full belly and you will have them in the run at the end of your day.

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I think your ? is how to get them to go in during the day time. I cant get mine in during the day they stay out untill dusk when they go in on thier own.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I turn the sun down when I want them to go in.

When I'm not able to do that I don't let them out to free-range if I have to leave before the sun goes down.

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Mine free range dawn to dusk whether I'm here or not. Are you worried about predators while you're gone? Them running off? When you're home are you always outside with them?

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    treats and i call to them "my girls" "come on" "time for bed".
    works everytime. treats helped at the begining when i was training them, now i need nothing. they are very good. [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Sunflower seeds bring mine running ANY TIME I need to get them closed back up in the run.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I freerange about 75 birds (usually over 100) & all that I have to do to get them in is to walk in myself. They follow DW & I around everywhere. When we walk, it's like a sea of birds at our feet. DW calls it "CHICKEN SURFING"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    On the chance that I have to lock the ladies in their run before bed time, I make a big circle with the treat bucket and walk into the enclosure and the wave follows me. If the ladies have ranged far enough away that they can't see the treat bucket, I get the roosters' attention (i'll even toss some snacks ont he ground and the dudes usually run down to check it out and then go back to tell the ladies) it's not always a fast process but it sure beats any sort of chase/capture routine I've tried.

10. jomercer

jomercer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are conditioned to come in with "chick-chick night-night" (any time of the day), and the path is greased with a pinch of mealworms!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by