how do you build a chicken copp step by step? help!!!!!

arabookworm

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
hi guys. Im arabookworms sister. We got outbid on the coop so we decided to build a coop ourselves. The only question is how. Neither me or my sister have a clue! Help!!!
barnie.gif
D.gif
:sick:idunno:confused:

Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif

What size coop are you planning on building?How many birds would you like to rais? and what about your budget for the coop?
There are so many diffrent ways you can build a structure, and I think best way is first to know how much you have budgetedto your project, then work can start.
good luck.
Omran

There are so many designs, but you may want a fairly simple one. If you go to my coop "Clutch Hutch", which is 8x8, at the link below, click on the link under the picture on that page. It takes you to several pages of construction photos and although you may not want to build that exact coop, it will show how things go together.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=16313-clutch-hutch

Last edited:
I just started cutting lumber yesterday for a coop.
I will document every step of the way here for you.

This one will be 8' x 8' on floor space.
It will have a separate grow off area for young birds.

I am building it to house RIR's.

Here are some questions you need to ask:

How much money do you have?
Will you bid out architects?
Do you want the structure to be LEED certified?
Are you thinking of a postmodern design?

Chickens are not fussy. Keep them dry.

And if you can't build, I'd recommend getting an old camper off of craigslist (free? $200?) and putting them in there.

Quote:
ha ha thats funny! I'm sure I've actually seen materials like chicken wire and chipboard used in the construction of some 'postmodern' buildings.

what it looks like we're going to do is enclose the area under our deck (about 9' x 20') and put in a floor there, some windows, etc. put a run in around it. we probably won't end up enclosing the whole thing, more like 8' by 16' for the actual coop.

Back
Top Bottom