How do you build YOU build a great ORPINGTON flock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you BAMACHICKEN
The story behind these gilrs. I met a guy named Russ Milkey. Russ knows his birds. He bought from a breeder in MICHIGAN, who had to take over this ladies flock who was her husbands, who EITHER died or was dying. And he had so many birds he had to sell off a bunch. So, Russ bought a pair. Cockerel and pullet. And he showed his Roo last year at a local county fair here in Hamilton County Indiana that was judged by a guy named DOUG AKERS. Doug told Russ that you have one fine Orp, and gaave Russ the Best of breed and maybe better. I can't really remember what Russ said. But, Doug liked his birds. And I found this out after the fact when the girls had grown up. I posted a WANTED ROO/COCKEREL on Craigslist, and Russ replied. He said that DOug told him to contact a lady at Catalpa Farm in IL. I did to find out that that lady ( Gail ) sold off her blacks. So, I am looking for a Black cockerel/Roo or chicks. I have some chicks. And I have heard of Sandhill. I am sorta looking for that needle in a haystack. not too many people do Balcks nowadays.
So, that is why I am here pleading ignorance and still expecting the to get the best I can dig up.

Quote:
For having had birds for under a year I would say you have a lot to learn.

Just because someone won best of show or breed at the county fair hardly means they have great birds. Many county fairs don't have that great of quality of birds that are being shown. Winning best of show or breed can very easily mean you are the best of the mediocre birds that are there.

Sara
I am going. I would love to hook up with all these guys there. It sounds like fun.
I am having a blast with my birds as it is. LOL

Katy
I know I have alot to learn.
That is why I believe in LITTLE OLD MEN who have seen it all for 40 years. Who have birds that are 8 and 9 years old.
I know I am a chicken idiot.
Far as my friend Russ's birds. I am going by what the judge of that fair says. Doug Akers says he has a very nice bird. And I know that I do not know more then you or Doug. And Doug said to Russ, for him to contact a wonderful lady at Catalpa Farms. Gail, who I can not say enough compliments about. Certainly she can not be as stupid as me too. She liked these birds. There are others who I have seen his birds too that liked them.
And as someone said earlier, it is what I want out of chickens. That is, to keep what I have, cause I like what I have. And I want to have my flock stay the same till I croak.

I think some people may have a reputation that far exceeds the reality of their breeding programs. One nice bird at a show does not make a breeder reputation par excellance neither does one pitiful example in a cull pen tear it down.

I think if you want to see the caliber of the birds people have on BYC you need to ask them. We are all happy to share pictures of our birds. But I don't think it's up to us to have to prove anything to you unless you are interested in buying from us and ask us directly about our birds. Personally I've never heard of the person you got your birds from. He may have great birds, I don't know. I just know I would not put much stock in a county fair win.

How do you build a great orpington flock?

It takes a lot of hard work and dedication, heavy hatching & culling, thorough selection and lots of time & space. If you expect to just buy some show birds and have a magical great orp flock, I think you'll find you're sorely mistaken. Many of us have learned from mistakes and years of breeding to determine what works and what doesn't work in particular breeding pens. We don't go to a show and buy a bird and think we've got the best and sit back and enjoy it. You work towards the best and it's a continuous work in progress for ongoing improvement. Even with a great looking flock this year that produces great looking offspring, you'll find those chickens don't live or breed/lay forever and you have to be able to produce new flock members that continue your efforts into the upcoming seasons.

As for making a buck, I can speak personally that there is no profit in breeding or selling chickens or their stock. Everything we earn goes back into the costly requirements of maintaining healthy, vigorous birds and their housing and nutrition for optimal results for years to come. You never recoup all of the expenses and labor you put into creating/producing particular strains of birds and in most instances you are paying out of pocket to share your stock with others.

Why someone chooses to show or not to show is a personal preference. That doesn't mean their birds aren't winning at shows in the hands of others.

That is great to hear you have a mentor with so much experience. You can learn a lot from those old timers. I have a dear friend myself who has some strains for 30-40 years and it is inspiring to have chats with him, to learn from him and even to partner with him for specific ventures that interest both of us.

Missprissy
I can't argue with you there.
I guess the real reason for buying from quality breeders is to try and achieve a level of excellence. So, IF I would get to that level, I can sell/give 10 eggs to someone and all, but maybe one or two, you can say I can't tell the difference.
I know that is why people buy purebred anything.
In the chicken world, chicks/eggs/birds do not come with papers. It is a matter of trust.
EXAMPLE: I bought from a lesser quality breeder of Ameraucanas in IL. And two of the chicks I hatched out had severe deformities. Like a crooked beak. Maybe it was just a fluke. Or maybe it is cause that breeder has not made a good attempt to keep their line strong and healthy. A good breeding program is still necessary for even the exhibition breeders. And trust me I know that. There are not alot of BLACK or BLUE Orp breeders. And I hope to find that one who is not showing, advertising, and has no website. I have an exhibition line of Buffs from a lady in SW Indiana. So, now I need another lady like that. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom