How do you calculate your hatch rate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyb1969, Mar 30, 2009.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Ok, I completely get how you calculate fertility with eggs. But I'm totally confused on how you calculate your hatch rate. Is it based on the beginning number of eggs put into the incubator that actually make it through hatch? Or is it based on how many eggs are placed into the hatcher that actually make it through hatch? [​IMG] And if it's neither, can someone please help! [​IMG]

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm glad you asked. I wondered about this, too.

[​IMG]

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I count mine based on how many developed. So if I put 20 eggs in and after the hatch I count the chicks that hatched and then crack all the eggs that hadn't hatched and if there was chicks in them I count them. The ones that had no development don't count.

4. shelleyb1969

Quote:That's what I was thinking. So no development is factored into the fertility rate, correct?

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    my first eggs I set 2 eggs one developed and one didnot do anything was completly clear when I tossed it after day like 11 so when little miss noisey hatched wensday I hada 100% hatch right:D

6. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I also do mine on the developed ones, not the ones I discard. Take the number that hatch and divide it by the toal number set (remember not the ones discarded). Then multiply by 100.

7. shelleyb1969

Quote:That's what I would say....but your fertility rate is only 50%.

8. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Quote:yes That is how I would look at it.

9. shelleyb1969

Thanks everyone. You all confirmed what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure. My bantam Orp roo has been doing well in the fertility department, and I've hatched a few clutches...so now I need to calculate my hatch rates from them. But then again, good hatch rates and shipped eggs very seldom go hand in hand. [​IMG]

10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I don't do that...if I set 100 eggs and 75 hatch I have 75% hatch...if 15 had developing embryos of some sort then I would have 90% fertility...that is me though...there have been several threads on this and folks get all worked up but if you are selling eggs and such for hatching...just be able to tell the folks how you are getting your numbers...if you aren't going to include the non-fertels in your hatching numbers be sure to tell them your fertility rate...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by