How do you catch a chicken?

sashurlow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
West Rutland, VT
We have four birds and they are permanently kept in their coop/run. Yesterday one got out. What the best way to catch an escapee chicken? I ended up getting lucky as she stayed by the coop and managed to corner her and pick her up.
I was thinking a large fishing net.
thanks,
Scott

I usually have to bait them with treats. Either kneel down to give it to them then scoop them up, or walk into the run with the treat visible in your hand and they may follow you. Silly chickens always escape when you're in a hurry!

The same way my Grandmother did:

36435_caught.jpg

I do use a large fishing net. Luckily I don't have to do it very often. They do not like it and usually run away faster.
wink.png

Obviously we have different ways. I usually lock the ones that did not get out inside the coop and leave the gate to the run open. The ones that get out usually go back in for food or water or to look for their buddies. I can usually herd them back that way without too much problem.

I have used a fishing net to actually catch a chicken during the day. You have to corner them where they cannot run away because they will be scared of the net. Mine will also try to fly/climb a fence to get out. I try to not use the net any more than I have to. I worry that their comb or legs will get tangled up and they will hurt or kill themselves in their panic. I don't think it is all that more risky than other methods and I've never had a problem doing it, but I worry a bit anyway.

Quote:
Love it! Was this something that was handed down, you made, or purchased?

My Grandmother's was homemade, so I also made my own. I have seen them for sale in some catalogs.

Quote:
I have one of these. It's quite handy - especially if they're roosting on the upper shelves in our machine shed. (Yep, that's the voice of experience speaking) Mine was handed down from my mother-in-law.

if she knows her way back to the coop I use the hose.....I don't spray them directly but will spray near them to "guide" them where I want them to go and it works really well.

Back
Top Bottom