How do you catch your birds?

Doctor T

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Missouri
I've got Goldens,...they live in a large aviary, 30 x 40. I've used a net the one time I needed to catch one, but there must be a better way!! I've seen some pictures of wire traps, the kind with a one way funnel,....anybody use these?

My goldens are actually tame enough I can usually just grab them. I usually net the ringneck pheasants. I have used a recovery cage like you're talking about for quail - you put one bird in the cage and it calls to the others and lures them in. Not sure how well it would work with goldens. I have also set a large cage in the pen and sprinkled scratch grain inside then closed the door once they went after the scratch.

My goldens are actually tame enough I can usually just grab them. I usually net the ringneck pheasants. I have used a recovery cage like you're talking about for quail - you put one bird in the cage and it calls to the others and lures them in. Not sure how well it would work with goldens. I have also set a large cage in the pen and sprinkled scratch grain inside then closed the door once they went after the scratch.

I've used a net, cause mine aren't tame enough,...but I don't liking stressing the birds. I'm going to build one of those recovery cages,...but I'm not sure what size for the funnel.

This PDF article by John Corder may give you some pointers:

http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/catchapheasant.pdf

Dan

Thanks for the link, Dan! Great article, lots of good advice.

I raise ringneck pheasant and bobwhite quail. The recovery cages don't work very well for the pheasant bc they don't really call the other birds like the quail do. It works terriffic for quail though. We use a long handled fish net. Like the ones used by fishermen to net fish from the side of a boat. It works very well and it doesn't stress the birds much at all.

Back
Top Bottom