How do you charge for meat birds?

So with my rough estimate of $20 every 2 weeks, and pretending we still have 11 birds, it would cost $10 x 10 wk. / 11 birds = roughly $9/bird. That seems far more reasonable than $47/bird, haha. I suppose you would want to raise many more at once to make a higher profit, but that would cost a lot more in feed...:barnie I hate math!
That sounds a lot more realistic.

I do know that the cost of feed gets very expensive when you have several chicks.

We just had 20 meat checks and we were going through 5 50# bags of feed every month. We sold the 20 chicks for $100 so $5 a piece. Funny thing is they're not using them as meat chickens.

I crossed my chickens that I have in order to create a dual purpose breed. So it works out for us because not everyone wants a meat chicken. Some want an egg chicken or a pet chicken.

So with my rough estimate of $20 every 2 weeks, and pretending we still have 11 birds, it would cost $10 x 10 wk. / 11 birds = roughly $9/bird. That seems far more reasonable than $47/bird, haha. I suppose you would want to raise many more at once to make a higher profit, but that would cost a lot more in feed...:barnie I hate math!
Ferment your feed and it will save you cash. I ferment cracked corn, milled corn, whole wheat, and whole barley. Much cheaper. Oh yeah, I stir in some soy meal right before feeding. Scratch mix is whole corn, cracked corn, wheat, and yellow peas. Trying to sprout oats now for winter, they scrounged most of the small grass from their run, I don't know if it's too cool in the shop or the feed oats are not for sprouting.
I tinink range feeding with supplements is essential, and reduces the poop problem.

The rock cornish recommend you remove feed at night so they don't get overweight and break their legs. Right out of Monty Python.

I crossed my chickens that I have in order to create a dual purpose breed. So it works out for us because not everyone wants a meat chicken. Some want an egg chicken or a pet chicken.
What breeds did you use for the roo and hen? Do the offspring reproduce reliably?

What breeds did you use for the roo and hen? Do the offspring reproduce reliably?
I have a jersey giant rooster...

The hens are Delaware, red sex link, and barred rock.

Here's Squatch with Ophelia

IMG_20200106_143038~2.jpg

Squatch with one of his offspring

IMG_20200106_142948~2.jpg

Jersey giant barred rock offspring (11 weeks)

IMG_20200106_143204~2.jpg

Jersey giant Delaware offspring (11 weeks)

IMG_20200106_143007~2.jpg

Eggs I'm incubating right now (that dark circle is the chicks eye)

IMG_20200114_184418.jpg

I haven't seen any of the offspring lay eggs yet, but they will this spring. They're only 11 weeks right now.

I had to put more in the incubator because someone bought every last one of them except the 3 I didn't want to part with.

Ferment your feed and it will save you cash. I ferment cracked corn, milled corn, whole wheat, and whole barley. Much cheaper. Oh yeah, I stir in some soy meal right before feeding. Scratch mix is whole corn, cracked corn, wheat, and yellow peas. Trying to sprout oats now for winter, they scrounged most of the small grass from their run, I don't know if it's too cool in the shop or the feed oats are not for sprouting.
I tinink range feeding with supplements is essential, and reduces the poop problem.

The rock cornish recommend you remove feed at night so they don't get overweight and break their legs. Right out of Monty Python.
My chickens refused fermented feed when I tried it. I didn't try with the chicks though. Maybe I'll try again eventually.

That sounds a lot more realistic.

I do know that the cost of feed gets very expensive when you have several chicks.

We just had 20 meat checks and we were going through 5 50# bags of feed every month. We sold the 20 chicks for $100 so $5 a piece. Funny thing is they're not using them as meat chickens.

my chickens are pets, and the eggs are an added bonus. My landlord gave us a few chicks in the dead of winter, so I had to buy both chicken feed and chick starter. Right after I quit my job. So I’m really thankful that they're grown now and I’m back to my twenty buck feeding schedule

Ferment your feed and it will save you cash. I ferment cracked corn, milled corn, whole wheat, and whole barley. Much cheaper.
I’ve looked into fermenting feed, and I’ve decided that with my setup it wouldn’t really do much. My chickens get a big scoop of crumbles and a big scoop of scratch, along with any kitchen scraps every morning, and then they free range all day. They don’t even bother to clear what I give them, leaving the opossums a near-nightly feast. As long as I can work 2-3 hours a week, I don’t really have to worry about feed costs— even if I can’t work one week, my parents would foot the feed bill for me. I guess that’s what happens when you let your crazy chicken lady daughter get more chickens... not that I’m complaining, of course.

my chickens are pets, and the eggs are an added bonus. My landlord gave us a few chicks in the dead of winter, so I had to buy both chicken feed and chick starter. Right after I quit my job. So I’m really thankful that they're grown now and I’m back to my twenty buck feeding schedule

I’ve looked into fermenting feed, and I’ve decided that with my setup it wouldn’t really do much. My chickens get a big scoop of crumbles and a big scoop of scratch, along with any kitchen scraps every morning, and then they free range all day. They don’t even bother to clear what I give them, leaving the opossums a near-nightly feast. As long as I can work 2-3 hours a week, I don’t really have to worry about feed costs— even if I can’t work one week, my parents would foot the feed bill for me. I guess that’s what happens when you let your crazy chicken lady daughter get more chickens... not that I’m complaining, of course.
well. Saving while you are working will make it so you dont have to borrow. Three buckets and 5 min a day

EDIT: Pour off the liquid from one day's batch onto the freshly started batch. Don't stir after the first mix. I drain as much liquid off as I can before mixing in the soy meal. We don't want drunk chickens. :) If you only have a few chickens, use soup cans. Chicken noodle I would suggest...bwahahaha. ahem.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom